Performance exhaust upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Performance exhaust upgrades?

I had a look under my recently purchased 06 FEH an saw the world's most inefficient exhaust system. I do believe a saw atleast a 30 inch resonator going to a another resonator then to a muffler. So after doing some research I found that Magnaflow makes a system to replace all of that. Has anyone tried it yet? I imagine replacing that system would be a good gain in both mileage and power.

I also noticed that the 08 hybrid come with a header instead of the cast iron manifold I see on my 06....

Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Performance exhaust upgrades?

There have been posts about this here before, I think if you search the site you should be able to find some posts on it.

~John

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 AM

By the way, I am an old time NHRA drag racer so I have dealt with performance exhaust of various type for years for both car & motorcycle.

I can't really see that messing with the Hybrid exhaust makes a whole lot of sense however.........

~John

Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

I did a search and I found the thread about the Gibson and Magnaflow and I also found some photos online. Looks like 98% pipe and 2% muffler. To sum it up the performance is increased noticably on the highway but with a drone. This does prove my first thought to be correct and that this exhaust was designed for sound deadening and not efficiency. I think either one of those systems would be good with a performance resonator added.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Cool idea! If you do it, please post up dyno runs so we can see the gains you've made.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Davin
the performance is increased noticably on the highway but with a drone. This does prove my first thought to be correct and that this exhaust was designed for sound deadening and not efficiency. .

Very few stock factory exhausts are designed for maximum performance.

That "droning" would drive me nuts. I was willing to put up with that kind of stuff when I was driving a street car that was 600 HP, but I can't see putting up with it on a vehicle like the Escape that was never meant to be any kind of performance vehicle.

~John

Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

I think the drone would drive me nuts too which is why I would add a resonator or do custom system. This is an efficiency vehicle so it should be as efficient as possible. I would never suggest such a mod if it wasn't to save gas which clearly this would on the highway side and thats where the FEH really needs some help. I do have a gtech dyno so next month I will record some before and after figures too.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Davin
thats where the FEH really needs some help. I do have a gtech dyno so next month I will record some before and after figures too.

I will be real interested in the results also. I would be very surprised if it makes a measureable mpg improvement.

~John

Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it will hurt low-end torque

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

This engine has no low end torque to begin with. That comes from the electrical side so I think I am safe there.

Quick Reply: Performance exhaust upgrades?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands