Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Default Re: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Originally Posted by camedian
The AcuRite is probably even cheaper at WalMart. I considered it last year but decided against it after reading some reviews about its durability.

I bought the Wayfinder V2020, but I don't recommend it. See my review on Amazon. However, if you already bought it, you might as well get the hardwire kit ($14.99). With the hardwire kit installed, the V2020 will be turned on automatically when you start your car.

I attached the V2020 to the windshield at the center of the dashboard. There is a screw cover at the center of the dashboard. You can open the cover and fish the wire down to the the fuse box. Go to your local auto store to find a LittelFuse Mini Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder to connect the kit to the fuse box. Search the "Homelink rearview mirror" link for details.

I have tried hanging the outside sensor near the rear bumper. The reading was usually 10 degrees higher than the actual temperature. A better spot is behind the front grille, but it is still 4-5 degress higher.
Did you place the temperature sensor in a controlled air space like a room to see if the V2020 would compare to a good temperature gauge? If the V2020 was off in that setting, you would know no matter where you place it on the vehicle, it would be off. I could see higher readings from the road surface and behind the grill from engine heat. Anyway, I have a V2020 and extra sensor on its way and I can play with it myself.

GaryG

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I put my cheapie one in the garage and let it equalize for an hour.

The indoor thermometer, the separate outdoor probe, and a much more expensive home weather station ALL matched to within 0.4'F of each other.
I have faith the cheapie probe works very well, with new batteries anyhow.

I've only had it a couple of days.
Passing two banks that have thermometers on signs, my remote was only 1 degree hotter than the bank ones. However, I was moving pretty fast, so there's plently of fresh air at 45 MPH. I'm sure it will get some road heat standing still. But who cares? You get the "real" temperature when moving!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Did you place the temperature sensor in a controlled air space like a room to see if the V2020 would compare to a good temperature gauge? If the V2020 was off in that setting, you would know no matter where you place it on the vehicle, it would be off. I could see higher readings from the road surface and behind the grill from engine heat. Anyway, I have a V2020 and extra sensor on its way and I can play with it myself.

GaryG
I placed the Wayfinder sensor side by side with a lab thermometer for two hours. The Wayfinder sensor is very accurate. In my backyard I also have an accurate outdoor sensor placed in a ventilated container. Every time I get home the Wayfinder shows 4-5 degrees higher than my outdoor thermometer.

My Saturn Ion came with the mirror/outside temperature option. Its reading is closer to my backyard sensor, and it is always lower than the temperature displayed outside the banks during the warm days.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:07 PM

I placed the Wayfinder sensor side by side with a lab thermometer for two hours. The Wayfinder sensor is very accurate. In my backyard I also have an accurate outdoor sensor placed in a ventilated container. Every time I get home the Wayfinder shows 4-5 degrees higher than my outdoor thermometer.

My Saturn Ion came with the mirror/outside temperature option. Its reading is closer to my backyard sensor, and it is always lower than the temperature displayed outside the banks during the warm days.
Just got my Wayfinder today and the sensor is much smaller than it looked like in the photos and I like that. The inside sensor is still on its way and I wanted to do some testing with both sensors at the same time. The instructions say you can go online at: http://www.pnicorp.com/resources?nodeId=c40c
for more information about locating the sensor, but it not clear how to find this info on the site. Any ideas?

GaryG

Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Just got my Wayfinder today and the sensor is much smaller than it looked like in the photos and I like that. The inside sensor is still on its way and I wanted to do some testing with both sensors at the same time. The instructions say you can go online at: http://www.pnicorp.com/resources?nodeId=c40c
for more information about locating the sensor, but it not clear how to find this info on the site. Any ideas?

GaryG
PNI sold the digital compass products to CT Global. Try http://www.ctglobalinc.com/wayfinder.asp

Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 PM

PNI sold the digital compass products to CT Global. Try http://www.ctglobalinc.com/wayfinder.asp
There didn't seem to be any information on the V2020 on that site either and they have zero quanities available. My order for the extra sensor was cancelled becauce they said the manufacture no longer carried it. It seems that a Company bought out that product from PNI for competion reasons, and the only ones available now are retail stock in stores. Most of the sites I shopped on were out of the product now except RVstuff.com. but I have a feeling I'll get the same answer if they didn't stock it. At least I got the outside temp sensor with the V2020.

GaryG

Old 04-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

There didn't seem to be any information on the V2020 on that site either and they have zero quanities available. My order for the extra sensor was cancelled becauce they said the manufacture no longer carried it. It seems that a Company bought out that product from PNI for competion reasons, and the only ones available now are retail stock in stores. Most of the sites I shopped on were out of the product now except RVstuff.com. but I have a feeling I'll get the same answer if they didn't stock it. At least I got the outside temp sensor with the V2020.

GaryG
The V2020 FAQ is here:
http://www.ctglobalinc.com/Wayfinder%20V2020%20FAQ's.htm

Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 PM

The V2020 FAQ is here:
http://www.ctglobalinc.com/Wayfinder%20V2020%20FAQ's.htm
Thanks, I found the FAQ's, but it didn't give the detailed info for locating the outside temp sensor or a link. For some reason the FAQ's link you provided gave me a message that my browser (Firefox) did not support that link for some reason either. The FAQ's I read earlier said click sensor for more details, but there was no sensor link to be found. I'm sure the info is in hyper space someplace, and I may need to use Internet Explorer to find it. Bottom line, it looks like I'm going to have to test and find a location place myself. Florida does not require a front license plate, so I can't located it there like the original poster who brought the Wayfinder info to this board.

Still haven't heard from RVstuff.com if they are sending the inside temp sensor, they just confirmed my order Friday. It took Autobarn.com a few days to cancel my order, so I'm not expecting good news on this order either.

GaryG

Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I just got myself a WIRELESS Indoor / Outdoor thermometer.

Total cost for display unit plus remote probe ( good for 100 ft. ) was
$12.98.

Got mine at Lowes hardware store.
I put the remote probe inside the rear bumper, opposite side from the exhaust. There's tons of places to put it under there. Found a spot between two beams that was nearly the exact same size as the probe. I wedged it in there and it was a good friction fit. No tape, screws, velcro, anything required. It is also protected from sun, and road debris. It is on an interior cross member, so sun hitting the sheet metal won't affect it.

The display is on my instrument cluster with velcro. ( easy to remove to change battery or when cleaning the car ) The nice thing also is, at night, the green lights from the message center also light up the temperature display perfectly. There's no button to press either! Good visibility. Sorry, a camera phone was used and the photos don't do it justice.
Two AAA batteries in probe, two AAA batteries in display.
I put in Energizer Lithium batteries, and there is a coupon for $3 off Energizer AAA lithium inside the temperature probe package, and claims the lithium will last 7x longer than alkaline, and lithum works better in cold, and hot. Again, $12.98. I think this is a fantastic price, and a small unit as well. -John

John, is this wireless thermometer still working out for you? I like this approach and thought I'd get one tomorrow at Lowes. I'm going to add a GPS mount also, so decided against one of the compass/temperature mirrors.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The cost was low, but so was the quality.
I think it only updates temperature once per minute.
Maybe even slower than that.
The remote sensor placed inside the rear plastic bumper gives accurate outdoor readings at night, but reads way too high during the day.

The battery ( and I splurged on lithium ) went dead in the display end last week. So it only lasted about 3 months... with the best battery possible.
I have not yet replaced it, since I was not 100% thrilled with it.

I think location of the remote outdoor sensor is VERY important.

Since I have a ScanGauge engine computer, it shows intake air temperature.
Since this is always fresh, moving air, I find this is always very accurate when the car is in motion. So the "other" gauge has become pointless.
I just use the engine intake air, and it is usually only +2 or +3 from actual.

Quick Reply: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands