Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Originally Posted by GaryG
Thank for the info and it sounds like something I'd be interested in installing.

My question is do you think this device will comply with the FEH electronics? See this material on the '06 and please let us know.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...iers_guide.pdf

GaryG
That's a good PDF to have--I've printed it up and will save it! But after looking at it carefully, I don't see any way that the Wayfinder V2020 goes against the cautions. The unit's installation brochure says don't mount it near the radio because of possible interference. On my 07 MMH, I placed the plastic mounting bracket at the bottom and left of center of the windshield, so that the unit rests on the dash and I can easily reach it to hit the "on" and "off" button. Compass reading is instantaneous (though still redundant with the FEH and MMH) but the temperature reading takes about 20 seconds to appear. The unit is battery powered and has an auto shutoff feature, and a lighted-dial feature for night-time driving. Over two months of use and I can report no problem with it.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by pianored1
That's a good PDF to have--I've printed it up and will save it! But after looking at it carefully, I don't see any way that the Wayfinder V2020 goes against the cautions. The unit's installation brochure says don't mount it near the radio because of possible interference. On my 07 MMH, I placed the plastic mounting bracket at the bottom and left of center of the windshield, so that the unit rests on the dash and I can easily reach it to hit the "on" and "off" button. Compass reading is instantaneous (though still redundant with the FEH and MMH) but the temperature reading takes about 20 seconds to appear. The unit is battery powered and has an auto shutoff feature, and a lighted-dial feature for night-time driving. Over two months of use and I can report no problem with it.
Thanks for the quick response and I think I'm going shopping for one. Any recommendations? I don't have an inside temp on my '05, so I might add that to the unit also.

GaryG

Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

The advertised list is $129, which is ridiculous. I bought it from Amazon.com for $89 w/free freight (I misremembered earlier about the $80 pricetag). Took less than a week to arrive, too.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I think it is ridiculous that it does not come with the indoor temperature.
And also you must "special order" the second probe.

So obviously, there is no built in thermometer.
And I assume the second "indoor" thermometer is also wireless, which could come in handy, but at what cost?

Place the "indoor" one out the side window of your car at night when there is no sun to heat it up, and you can check and see if your "outdoor" one you mounted already is getting any road or engine heat. If the two probes closely match, then you know you did a great mounting job. The second one could be of great help finding the ideal mounting location.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I don't have an inside temp on my '05, so I might add that to the unit also.

GaryG

I'm curious why you would need an inside temp reading??

Do you need a thermometer to tell you if it's warm inside the vehicle??

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

By the way, Wayfinder does makes good quality stuff.

I had a Wayfinder digital readout compass in my motorhome for a few years before I added a GPS unit & had no use for the Wayfinder anymore.

I soldered a vehicle electrical converter/adapter to the battery contacts in the compass so I could power it from the 12v system & leave it on all the time without constantly replacing expensive batteries.

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I'm curious why you would need an inside temp reading??

Do you need a thermometer to tell you if it's warm inside the vehicle??

~John
In my EB Explorer, I have both inside and outside temp and enjoy knowing them both. The '05 doesn't have a temp on the A/C control so were cooling blindly. It's mainly for others in the car so I know if I need increase or decrease temp inside.

Just bought the last "Buy It Now" unit on Ebay for 59.99 plus 14.99 shipping for a total of 74.98. Had the cheap ones in the past that stick on in the door frame, but I like the wireless features on this one.

Thanks again Pianored1 for the info!

GaryG

Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Just ordered the additional inside temperature sensor for my Wayfinder V2020 wireless gauge. It's hard getting details on if the inside sensor is any different than the outside temperature senors. From what I can tell, the outside sensor can be changed into an inside sensor and the optional inside temperature sensor can be changed to an outside sensor. It must be the same sensor, does anyone know?

Lost the bid on Ebay for the inside sensor but got it on the internet for $29.99 plus shipping. Later found it for $25.99, but none were available there. The total cost was $74.99 plus $37.00 for the extra sensor = ~$112.00 included shipping and no tax. Not bad when you consider no installation cost.

It looks like you can put the sensors just about anywhere like a horse trailer, the cargo area, glove box, under the front or back seats and monitor the temperature. You can even put it in a cooler in the back to monitor food. It's like the SG, you can move it from the vehicle to any car, truck, RV, boat, and have a compass and monitor two temperature locations at the same time with no wires. How about the garage (outside temp) till you open the door and back out! To bad we can't feed a sensor down the HV battery vent.

Way to cool!

GaryG

Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I just got myself a WIRELESS Indoor / Outdoor thermometer.

Total cost for display unit plus remote probe ( good for 100 ft. ) was
$12.98.

Got mine at Lowes hardware store.
I put the remote probe inside the rear bumper, opposite side from the exhaust. There's tons of places to put it under there. Found a spot between two beams that was nearly the exact same size as the probe. I wedged it in there and it was a good friction fit. No tape, screws, velcro, anything required. It is also protected from sun, and road debris. It is on an interior cross member, so sun hitting the sheet metal won't affect it.

The display is on my instrument cluster with velcro. ( easy to remove to change battery or when cleaning the car ) The nice thing also is, at night, the green lights from the message center also light up the temperature display perfectly. There's no button to press either! Good visibility. Sorry, a camera phone was used and the photos don't do it justice.
Two AAA batteries in probe, two AAA batteries in display.
I put in Energizer Lithium batteries, and there is a coupon for $3 off Energizer AAA lithium inside the temperature probe package, and claims the lithium will last 7x longer than alkaline, and lithum works better in cold, and hot. Again, $12.98. I think this is a fantastic price, and a small unit as well. -John

Last edited by gpsman1; 04-16-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Fixed a mistake.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

The AcuRite is probably even cheaper at WalMart. I considered it last year but decided against it after reading some reviews about its durability.

I bought the Wayfinder V2020, but I don't recommend it. See my review on Amazon. However, if you already bought it, you might as well get the hardwire kit ($14.99). With the hardwire kit installed, the V2020 will be turned on automatically when you start your car.

I attached the V2020 to the windshield at the center of the dashboard. There is a screw cover at the center of the dashboard. You can open the cover and fish the wire down to the the fuse box. Go to your local auto store to find a LittelFuse Mini Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder to connect the kit to the fuse box. Search the "Homelink rearview mirror" link for details.

I have tried hanging the outside sensor near the rear bumper. The reading was usually 10 degrees higher than the actual temperature. A better spot is behind the front grille, but it is still 4-5 degress higher.

Quick Reply: Outdoor temperature - wireless?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands