Ordered a 2006 FEH in 20mins!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Ordered a 2006 FEH in 20mins!

Last Saturday, I went into a dealership in Vancouver BC twenty minutes before closing time. Referring to my custom-configured 4x4 FEH print-out from www.ford.ca website, I asked the sales rep to show me a Black FEH with premium package and moonroof to get an idea. They don't have an FEH model in stock, so he showed me the regular Explorer version in Black with premium package and moonroof. I saw it, loved it, and asked him to do a search. He located one unit in Alberta just like what I configured online, so I placed an order on the spot! He said the car will be shipped from Alberta and arrive in Vancouver in a few days. I am hoping to get it by the end of the week!

However, some part of me is concerned whether this is an impulse buy, because I abhor unrestrained and inferiority-driven consumerism!

The fact is, I did check this forum beforehand and found out that hooking the Nav/CD changer system to iPod is possible with some kind of add-ons. Therefore, at the very least if I didn't like the car, I could still drown myself in iPod music sorrow.

Just kidding!

I actually did read many reviews online, compared whole bunch of models, looked at the Honda hybrid, test-drove the FEH earlier last week, finally deciding that FEH is the one to go based on many reviews and the messages on this forum.

Besides, the deal is sweetened with 0% financing, $2000 immediate tax exemption from the Canadian government, plus $3500 off due to the limited-time only Ford Family pricing plan. All in all, this is a good buy right?! What do you guys think?

Last edited by greenhybrider; 08-22-2006 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added some details
Old 08-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ordered a 2006 FEH in 20mins!

I think anytime you can get 0% financing, tax breaks from your government, rebates from the dealer, over 30 MPG, and low emssions, you are getting a good buy.

Sounds like you did some research and came to the decision that made sense for you. The FEH isn't a luxury SUV, and it isn't meant to be.

PS - I'm guessing you mean the ESCAPE, not the explorer? Unless I really missed some big news... or the canadian model names are different...

Old 08-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

I bought a 2007 2 weeks ago and the best I could do was 3.9% financing (plus Xplan, but that is a different story). I think the $3500 is for Explorers, unless there is a special deal for 2006 FEH. In any case, you will enjoy the FEH. I have about 1200 miles on mine already. Still learning gas mileage techniques, plus I hardly get to drive it since it is my wife's car.

JG

Old 08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the special deals, are for the '06 "leftovers". The '07 models have been out for a long time now (due to the upcoming refreshed '08 models coming in the spring).

The '06 Hybrids are getting 0% financing and cash. The '07 are getting low, but not 0% (I thought I got 2.9%) financing and no cash.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also keep in mind that deals (0% financing, cash back, etc.) are regional. Canadian offers may be different than US and even different by region (Northern California, etc.)

Old 08-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Something unbelieveable just happened. But first to answer the question, yes my model is Ford Escape Hybrid 2006.

So I got a call from dealer this morning about the car I ordered. All of the sudden they told me that my car came with the "side step bar" which I didn't specify in my configuration.

They are trying to make me pay the extra "$365" for the side step bar that I didn't specify in my order, giving me reason that that's the only car they could find, and it's bundled with it. They are threatening me that if I don't buy it with the added option, there's no other car like it in the entire Canada.

I checked the Ford.ca website, the side step bar is not even offerred as an accessory/option for the Hybrid model, that's why I was totally shocked when I found out this "extra" option is added to my order without my knowledge. I feel being "lied" because when I placed the order they told me it's the "exact" same car I wanted.

What do you guys think? Should I make them remove the side bar and pay for what I ordered in the first place, or let them get away with this by paying the extra $365 for something that is potentially "useless and ugly" which I didn't ask for in the first place?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I'd say stick to your guns. Either make them give it to you free, or tell them you're going to walk away.

When I ordered mine, they couldn't find a 2005 that had all that was loaded, but didn't have the appearance package. I told them I wasn't going to pay for it, so they could either give it to me with the package free, or find me one that had only what I wanted. They put in an order, and gave me an '06 for the price I had committed to for the '05, but had all that I wanted, and just what I wanted; built just for me.

Oh yes, congrats on deciding to go with the FEH. If you do go ahead and get it, I suggest that if you haven't already, read the FEH FAQ.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
I'd say stick to your guns. Either make them give it to you free, or tell them you're going to walk away.
I just talked to the manager, you know what he said, the price of the step bar is increased to $525! On ford.ca website, the step bar is "only" $365.

He did offer to pay half of the $525, and said that if I don't want it, they will remove it completely so I don't have to pay anything, but he is confident that once I see it, I will love it and want to keep it.

The question is, does anyone here have a step bar installed? I haven't seen it in person, but does it offer any extra benefits other than letting passengers get on and off easier? Personally I think it "destroys" the lines and aesthetics of the car, besides I will be overcharged for it too.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I think that it all depends on who is using your car. My '07 FEH doesn't have the step bars, but I have 5 & 6 y.o. boys who have a harder time climbing into the back seat, so I am going to purchase an aftermarket set and put them on myself. I really wish that mine HAD come with them, but that is because I have kids...

Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
I just talked to the manager, you know what he said, the price of the step bar is increased to $525! On ford.ca website, the step bar is "only" $365.

He did offer to pay half of the $525, and said that if I don't want it, they will remove it completely so I don't have to pay anything, but he is confident that once I see it, I will love it and want to keep it.

The question is, does anyone here have a step bar installed? I haven't seen it in person, but does it offer any extra benefits other than letting passengers get on and off easier? Personally I think it "destroys" the lines and aesthetics of the car, besides I will be overcharged for it too.
Hi, and welcome!

Since the manager agreed to defer to when the FEH arrives, I'd wait, then ask them to remove it when it arrives! At that point, they will have to pay to remove it and get stuck with the article that they now have to sell. They might be in a better mood to bargain. You still have a contract with them for one FEH with the specs you wanted so unless you fall in love with the step bars, you don't have to tgake them for any price.

You will be happy with the purchase so don't worry about the impulse. I find that you only worry about a purchase until you actually make the purchase and after that, you rarely look back. I bought a VW Golf GTI VR6 over the phone once! Sent a couple of e-mails for quotes then called a dealer and made a deposit by phone. The first time I met the salesman was when I went to pick the car up!

One question. What Federal rebate are you talking about? I was not aware of any Fed rebate. With the conservatives in power, I certainly did not expect one (I half expected hybrids to be banned)!

Cheers,

rcomeau

Quick Reply: Ordered a 2006 FEH in 20mins!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands