An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Originally Posted by stevewa
I agree that miles driven is not a useful measure. Note the 2006 models do have the oil life indicator that appears in the info center display. I don't know if it's driven by miles or by engine hours on...I seriously doubt it actually analyzes the oil like some of the more expensive cars claim to.

I figure that if the engineers at Ford think 10K is safe with the synthetic blend oil, that with a full synthetic like Mobil 1 it's even safer.

As far as waste goes, I'm guessing you are not buying reprocessed motor oil, so that means we have to buy more from the Saudis to keep you on your change schedule. Something to think about...
Steve - sounds like you have already done some of the research I was planning to do with the filters. I may sacrifice a couple of them and do some flow tests through them and see how they do. I'll let you know what I find out - might be a few weeks since I am off tomorrow to do my annual tour with the Air Force.

From what I have seen, the oil life indicator is just a countdown indicator with 100% life left at zero miles and 0% at 10k miles, interpolating in between. Since you have to reset it at the oil change, it is really a useless reading. Easier for me to write a note to myself when to change the oil.

No, I am not using reprocessed oil. I think we need to agree to disagree as to whether I am wasting oil or contributing to the Saudi economy or whatever. I've done the numbers before and over the lifetime of the FEH I am saving one heck of a lot more gas than I am using in oil. I figure the extra 29 gallons of oil over 100,000 miles is really insignificant. Besides, doesn't motor oil come from domestic light sweet crude? Maybe I am supporting our own economy instead.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Oh yeah, and if the title of this thread has any truth to it, changing oil at 3000 vs 10,000 miles saves SO much gas, it also makes up for the extra oil used....

Old 08-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Megageek

My '04 Chevy Colorado 5 cylinder had an oil life monitor that calculated life based on RPM, temperature, drive gear, and a few other things. It averaged about 14K miles between oil changes based on that. It didn't actually measure anything in the oil itself though. The FEH appears to just base it on milage, not hours. I just broke 2K miles on my 06 FEH so I'm gonna change the oil this weekend and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by WScottCross; 08-09-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by WScottCross
I just broke 2K miles on my 06 FEH so I'm gonna change the oil this weekend and see if it makes any difference.
Make sure you get the parts in advance if you plan on doing the oil change on the weekend. The dealers near me don't stock the filter usually and didn't even know about the o-ring that you are supposed to change every time until I asked them to get me one.....

Also, the oil filter housing is a bear to get off so make sure you have a small size filter tool to get it off. It will come off barehanded but it isn't easy. Other than that, piece of cake.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:09 AM
Megageek

I know the local Advance Auto has the filter, I'll verify they also have the O-Ring. Thanks for the heads-up on the housing wrench.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Early Adopter

Just a heads-up I was at the Purolator website today and they now have a PureOne application for the FEH. Now to find one...I'm expecting the PL15505 to be similar in quality to the Motorcraft filter if not identical...

Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Megageek

I purchased the Purolator filters and they did come with both O-rings. I paid $5.48 each so that's not too bad. I compared the Purolator to the original and it looked identical to me right down to the felt rings at the ends. The housing cap was indeed a bear to get off and I ended borrowing my neighbors band style wrench to get them off. Now to see if it makes any difference. I'm almost at 3000 miles on mine so I expect the MPG to go up anyway.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by WScottCross
I purchased the Purolator filters and they did come with both O-rings. I paid $5.48 each so that's not too bad. I compared the Purolator to the original and it looked identical to me right down to the felt rings at the ends.
That beats the heck out of the stealerships prices. I paid $10 each just for the big o-ring. Forget what I paid for the filter - $12 or so. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount but I hate getting screwed. $5.48 sounds good.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Megageek

I got the Purolator filters at Advance Auto in case anyone is interested. The cashier looked up the air filter and they had the K&N for $51 and change. He said it was guaranteed for a million miles and you only have to buy the conditioning oil for it. I recall someone said the regular air filters were ~$55! AA didn't have a price for the Purolator air filters for the FEH.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Early Adopter

There is some question as to whether the K&N is in fact the right fitment.

It should also be noted there are dire warnings in your owner's manual about using anything other than the "approved" air filter...warranty voided, etc.

Quick Reply: An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands