OBD software for hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default OBD software for hybrids

I see a good deal of support for scangauge on these forums. Before I make up my Christmas list, I'm curious to know of any experience with the PC software programs and adapters that allow you to monitor engine sensors on a laptop by interrogating the OBD interface. Online I've seen Autotap, autoenginuity, digimoto, etc. Most seem expensive and designed for pros, but some are listing for about $175-$200-- not much more than a scangauge. Might be distracting to monitor a laptop when driving, but they seem to have the ability to log data, plot over time, plot multiple variables, etc. Anyone use these with a hybrid? Any thoughts?

Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OBD software for hybrids

It appears these hardware units are utilized more so in a stationary position whereas the Scangauges are utilized more so in dynamic conditions. The Posters on this site are utilizing the scangauges during their daily drive in an attempt to improve on their efficiency.

The hardware units appear to provide more detailed professional grade information about vehicles but does this mean the average driver can utilize this information if they do not have an auto-mechanic background?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Word on the street is future models of ScanGauge will have data output in the not too distant future.

The current SGII has two standard RJ45 jacks.
Right now, all you can do is daisy chain multiple displays together ( to have 8, 12, or 16 display PID's vs. the 4 per unit ).

The future SG may enable data output from the second RJ45 jack.
Future may be 1 month from now, or 1 year from now.
If you buy one now, it won't have this feature, but can always be your second one in the chain if/when you buy the SGIII.

Once you have one, you'll find one is just not enough!

Its big plus is simple design and use, and compact size.
It is meant to be a quasi permanent installation to your car.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A low cost solution will be using ELM327.
http://www.elmelectronics.com/connect.html#ELM327
You'll be required to write your own program.

Ken@Japan