Newbie needs suggestions to increase MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Question Newbie needs suggestions to increase MPG

Hello,

First post... I have been reading the threads here for several weeks and am learning lots about the Ford Escape Hybrid!

I am a little disappointed with the mileage I'm getting with my new 2006 FWD FEH (w/NAV system). After reading the forums here, it appears that my driving pattern is far from ideal for the FEH, but I would like to get at lease 30 MPG if it is possible.

I live in an area in Southern California where the summer temperature averages 90-105F. I live about 12 miles from my office and my route is mostly on dairy roads (fairly rough surface streets with little traffic ~50MPH speed limits, a couple of traffic lights and a few stop signs). The total commute time is 18-20 minutes each way.

Oh, did I mention these were dairy roads... Nobody would want to open their windows and get that smell in their new FEH so my choices in the summer is recirculating AC or OFF with windows closed!

I have been trying to keep the ICE off as much as possible, but it always turns on at about 30 MPH so a good portion of my drive uses the ICE.

Also, I could replace about 4 miles of my commute with a very lightly used freeway if it would help increase the mileage...

After reading the hypermileage posts in the forum, I have tried to use some of these tactics to increase my mileage. I had a hard time understanding some of these tactics so I have implemented only the ones I thought I understood.

Here is what I am currently doing:

1. Use AC only when required.<<
  2. Slow starts using the 'D' shift position.<<
  3. Down shift to 'L' when slowing down using brakes for slow stops.<<
  4. Try false shift (let up on peddle for a second) when I notice the tach over 2000RPM.<<
  5. Coasting up to stops instead of using typical driving patterns.<<
I have read some about using the 'L' shift position to keep the ICE off longer, but if I shift into low when I am going 25+ MPH in EV mode, the ICE immediately starts!

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can improve my MPG under these conditions? Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks!

Doug

Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie needs suggestions to increase MPG

How many miles are on your FEH? I couldn't get better than 27mpg no matter what I did the first 1,000 miles and it even says in the manual not to look at your MPG until you've 'broken in" the engine to at least 1,000miles. Others here will tell you that you'll see improvements when you hit 3,000mi, or 5,000mi too.

I've got about 2,200 miles on my Mariner Hybrid (4wd) right now and I am also struggling with MPG. I'm down from 28mpg to about 25mpg in mostly city (stop and go) in the last week or so as temps have been 90+ degrees.

I was going to ask for some advice myself but if you don't mind I'll piggy-back on your thread and maybe we both can learn something.

My situation:
Short commutes 4x per day driving my son to daycare and home, and then picking him up later and coming home. It is about 5 miles each way and when he is in the car I have to run the AC. Obviously the AC hurts, and I'm wondering if I am experiencing particularly low numbers (currently about 24.7mpg) given the new-ness of the vehicle and the usage?

Driving method:
Like Doug, my approach is to accelerate slowly in D to maximize EV mode. If I get up to a good speed I will attempt to coast as much as possible in N or at least in D. I always 'down shift' to L in order to slow down and regen. I try to 'fake shift' as much as possible to keep RPM's down. On highways I try to coast as much as possible as well and rarely exceed about 55mph.

options:
1. I can drive in stop and go traffic with a red light just about every city block. Problem is I don't get enough drive time for regeneration so the ICE ends up going on and off, particularly at idle.

2. I can hop on the highway for a couple of miles, but then the ICE has to run.

3. I can drive a little bit out of my way but reduce the number of traffic lights, thereby being able to utilize regeneration. This is my current strategy, but I only just started this route about the same times temps jumped into the 90's.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Hi Doug

You've got a serious heat problem that first needs to be addressed. Get those side windows tinted (quality film) and use one of those front windshield shades when parking in the sun. Always run the A/C recirc above 85F temps. Your battery needs to stay cool, so should you.

1. Get those tires up to 44psi and check often.

2. If you want good mileage, you need to coast in "N". Study the high and low speed Pulse and Glide technique, and use it all you can.

3. Sounds like you have some excellent roads and traffic to do EV glides from 40mph. Check out my article for more info.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350
There is a glossary here above this post, and at that site to help you with some of these terms.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/glossary.php?

4. Keep the RPM's as low as posible

5. Avoid highway driving as much as posible.

6. Avoid octane's above 87, and ethanol mixed gas.

7. Get a Scangauge to understand how your mileage can get better. It plugs under the dash, and can be setup in minutes. http://scangauge.com/

Keep up here, http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and other forums for infomation on how to improve mileage, problems and installation of new equipment.

Good Luck and enjoy your new FEH!

GaryG

Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

GaryG,

Thanks for the reply! I have read several of your posts and they are where I found most of my information. I will check out the links you posted. I think I read alot of stuff in your posts about using the 'L' shift position. Everything I tried so far didn't seem to do what I expected except for using it to coast to a stop. Is there anything else I should be doing with the 'L' shift position?

TimK: I have about 2500 miles on my FEH. Sorry for you, but glad that I am not the only one here who has low MPG! I did get about 34 MPG (on the Nav system display) on a 1.5 hour 50 mile trip going into LA in bumper to bumper traffic last week. Not what I would call fun driving however!

Doug

P.S: I get about 27-28 MPG currently. I thought that green hybrid signature was on all messages, but I just figured out I had to set it up!

Last edited by edgart; 07-20-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 PM

You might want to check the laws in your state about coasting in "N." In most states it is not legal.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

GaryG,

I was reading your post that you suggested and you said
"An example of this method would be as follows in 30 – 43 mph city driving: Take the SoC . Shift to “L” and go EV speed of your choice, shift back to “L” and hold as appropriate."
When you are at 43 MPH are you powered or coasting when you switch to "L"? I have tried this while coasting and I do not switch to EV mode. I take if from this quote that I should stay in "L" while powered in EV mode and switch to "D" when the ICE restarts. Is this correct? My instincts say that I should be in "D" to get better economy... though thats from driving my old cars...

Old 07-21-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
3. I can drive a little bit out of my way but reduce the number of traffic lights, thereby being able to utilize regeneration. This is my current strategy, but I only just started this route about the same times temps jumped into the 90's.
Just using random numbers here but a 10 mile trip that gets 30 mpg uses 1/3 gallon gas. A 12 mile trip that gets 36 mpg uses 1/3 gallon gas. Same amount of fuel burned on both trips but which is "better"? I'd take the one that puts fewer miles on the car.

You might want to check the laws in your state about coasting in "N." In most states it is not legal.
I doubt this is one of those laws that is heavily enforced - if it even applies to passenger vehicles. This law, where it exists, is intended for tractor trailer rigs that could lose their brakes and not be able to get the manual gearbox into a gear - especially on steep grades. This is hardly an issue with the elextronically controlled CVT in the FEH.

JMO of course.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Just using random numbers here but a 10 mile trip that gets 30 mpg uses 1/3 gallon gas. A 12 mile trip that gets 36 mpg uses 1/3 gallon gas. Same amount of fuel burned on both trips but which is "better"? I'd take the one that puts fewer miles on the car.
I'd rather get 36mpg on the 10 mile trip.....was that an option?

Actually, I'd be happy with 30mpg....right now I'm pushing about 25.5 thanks to the Max AC.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I doubt this is one of those laws that is heavily enforced - if it even applies to passenger vehicles. This law, where it exists, is intended for tractor trailer rigs that could lose their brakes and not be able to get the manual gearbox into a gear - especially on steep grades. This is hardly an issue with the elextronically controlled CVT in the FEH.

JMO of course.
That's why I suggested each person should check their own state's laws first to see if the practice is regulated and, if so, whether it excludes passeger vehicles or hybrids. Florida's law excludes neither, but only applies to downgrades. Whether it's highly enforced or not is not really the issue...owning a hybrid does not give you a pass to violate the law in the quest for MPGs. JMO

Old 07-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Whether it's highly enforced or not is not really the issue...owning a hybrid does not give you a pass to violate the law in the quest for MPGs. JMO
Of course it doesn't. But common sense also applies to the scenario. Coasting downhill in a 3000 pound vehicle with an electronic transmission is not the same as coasting downhill in an 80,000+ pound rig with a manual gearbox or two.

In other words, it's a non-issue. Hybrid vehicle or not.

Who but truckers has ever been cited for violation of the no downhill coasting law?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs suggestions to increase MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands