New software for older FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default New software for older FEH?

Has any one heard if their is or may be new software for the older (2008 and earlier) FEH that will retro fit the software upgrades on the 2009 to the older cars. I for one would be willing to pay something reasonable to be able to drive at 40mph in and out of ev without having to 'trick' the system.

Mikelst
2007 FEH
37.4 mpg. over 7064 miles and climbing
Bought used in May of 2008 with 29015 miles on it. I have no data on prior mileage or driving habits

Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Default Re: New software for older FEH?

Originally Posted by mikelst
Has any one heard if their is or may be new software for the older (2008 and earlier) FEH that will retro fit the software upgrades on the 2009 to the older cars. I for one would be willing to pay something reasonable to be able to drive at 40mph in and out of ev without having to 'trick' the system.
I wish it was that simple Mike, but it's not. The key to the '09 FEH/MMH is its power in EV mode. We know the '09 has the same battery as earlier models, so the voltage had to be boosted in some way to the traction motor. It is my understanding Ford changed to a new type converter called the Variable Voltage Converter (VVC). Toyota changed the Prius converter in 2004 and called it the Buck Boost Converter. I think these converters are similar and the key to boosting voltage to the traction motors for the extra power. These converters are located within the eCVT and can't be changed from what I understand. Of course programming was also changed and the '09 FEH/MMH can no longer run in EV in "L" gear.

You can bet I'd also like to convert my '05 FEH to operate the same as my '09 FEH, so I'll post if I hear if anything changes.

GaryG

Old 10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You can re-program the battery computer and get much of the benefits of the 09, but as Gary pointed out, the ICE is a completely different animal.

Trouble is, there are warranty and liability issues with modifying the factory software. You will instantly void your hybrid warranty, obviously. And in case of an accident caused by a vehicle shut down, there would be no shortage of lawyers willing to place the blame on the modified software.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by GaryG
We know the '09 has the same battery as earlier models, so the voltage had to be boosted in some way to the traction motor. It is my understanding Ford changed to a new type converter called the Variable Voltage Converter (VVC). I think these converters are the key to boosting voltage to the traction motors for the extra power.

GaryG

No. Not Exactly. The 2009 has a more powerful gas engine.
The 2009 does not have a more powerful battery pack.
The 2009 does not have a more powerful traction motor.

The 2009 has new software, that allows more aggressive usage of the SAME hardware found in the 2005's. If there is a different controller, it is simply a more efficient control, but not "more powerful" in any technical sense.
Does the 2009 "feel" more powerful?
I think most drivers would say yes.
If you are getting more electric horsepower upon acceleration, you will get that horsepower for a shorter amount of time than say, a 2005.