New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies.

Gary: My car is still under 200 miles, so it is pretty new, but it seems to be easy to go into EV mode -- the 'double tap' works, but generally it just drops into EV mode pretty much every time I slow down to a stop and stays there below 25 MPH, if I go easy on the gas pedal. It doesn't seem to be triggered by letting off the gas pedal, but seems to happen a second or two after that, if the speed is dropping. I'll do a lot more experimenting in the future!

I've had it almost to 40 in EV when going coasting down a long hill, but generally on level ground it will start the ICE just around 20 MPH unless I press it harder.

I haven't noticed any hesitation with acceleration, but I've been going easy, just trying to see how long I can stay in EV.

Also the crossbars were installed and I got the Ford 'Cargo Tray' which basically is a more rigid, rubber/plastic backed tray with an extra heavy pile carpet surface that 'sticks' to these "L-shaped" plastic blocks with a velcro like bottom. The idea is that you place the four blocks around an object and it keeps the object from sliding around. Kinda dinky -- I use a rubbermaid bin!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Gary I can answer your question. I can keep mine in EV mode sometimes almost up to 40mph. Also if i'm under 40mph the ICE will shut off, either by being in "L" or by doing the 2 tap on the brake pedal. As for the nav system its 7 speakers, has a 6.5" touch screen and it holds 6 CD's in the unit. no changer under the seat. it shows your last 15 min of mpg's also your instant mpg, power flow and avg mpg. I can post some pics if anyone would like.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

can you measure the dimensions of the nav unit itself (just the front of the unit (length x width)?? I'm wondering whether it could physically be swapped with the previous version in my '06 (whether it would work is another question)

Old 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

sure! its 7 1/2" wide 4 3/4" tall. thats the opening for the 2008 ford factory nav unit.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

The FEH is good, just don't expect anything in the way of a tax break from the FEDS or California. I didn't get my Federal tax credit this year due to the Alternative Minimum Tax, and California offers NO incentives to FEH owners.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mike, most people don't have your problem. Although the AMT is starting to affect more of the middle class, it's still generally for the well-to-do. I don't think you should make blanket statements like "don't expect anything in the way of a tax break".

Morocco, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new hybrid- you're going to love it!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Radioactive Enthusiast
Smile New Member New Ford 2008 Escape - Chicago

I don't mean to steal any thunder away from this thread, but I'm too excited to not make a post: after over 6 years with my 2 dr Explorer (which I love), I placed an order for an 08 FEH AWD earlier this week.

Probably the toughest call was FWD vs. AWD. The cost breakdown is noticeable: about a $1200-1400 price difference, plus the $800 difference in tax credit, plus any difference in fuel costs from one to the other, and it's over a $2000 gap. Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?

Anyways, I can't wait for the FEH to arrive! Black Pearl Slate w/ NAV. Already got a trip log book set-up to keep in the center console. Many thanks to everyone who provided counsel on a different thread regarding partner programs for X-Plan PINs - - Noticeable difference on price!

In general, the people who share their information - and opinions - on this site are the best. This resource lifts all the fog away from hybrids, and really must make it easier for people to get into one for themselves. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
Mike, most people don't have your problem. Although the AMT is starting to affect more of the middle class, it's still generally for the well-to-do. I don't think you should make blanket statements like "don't expect anything in the way of a tax break".

Morocco, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new hybrid- you're going to love it!
I agree, although it kind of has more to do with how many OTHER credits you are taking rather than actual income levels. Yes income level has a big effect but I'm guessing MOST people got nailed because they had alot of other credits and deductions, not because of their gross income.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Member New Ford 2008 Escape - Chicago

Originally Posted by AMB4
Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?
I struggled with the same decision, and since I'm in the area I thought I would post. Chicago winters have been so tame in recent years... seems like we only get one or two serious snowfalls each season. I might have been better off with the FWD if I was just buying for this area. But my parents live in the mountains of Colorado and since we've just given them a new grandson I'm sure there will be road trips.

I can tell you from the one heavy snow I drove in this last season that the AWD is phenomenal! I was driving through unplowed areas where the snow was up to the bottom of the doors and the FEH never lost a beat. You won't regret it!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Living in Chicago, though, I decided that any potential loss in fuel efficiency was worth it to have the AWD. Have other members compared both models in good & bad conditions?
I compared the two as well. To me, it wasn't worth the $2000+ difference. I don't drive on any roads that are that terrible. I figured I'll just get snow tires if I need to. I made it around (barely sometimes) with a FWD car with bald all-season tires this winter (didn't want to get new tires since I was getting an '08 MMH as soon as they came out), so I figured I didn't need the AWD.

Quick Reply: New Member New Ford 2008 2wd Escape - California

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands