New (to me) '10 FEH - And Solved Hatch Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New (to me) '10 FEH - And Solved Hatch Rattle

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just took ownership of a beautiful 2010 FEH Limited 2WD in white with tan leather interior, the Limited model with the SYNC/NAV system, parking assist and backup rear camera, and a whopping 56,300 miles on the clock, all dealer maintained. The car is 9.9/10. There's nothing wrong with it - everything works perfectly. Well, scratch that, it will probably need new tires in about 10,000 miles and the steering wheel is a teeny bit off center by about 1 degree. Other than that, and a tiny stain on the passenger front floor mat, it looks and drives like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

This is my first hybrid vehicle and I've been doing a lot of reading. This forum has been very educational, and now I'm aware of most of the differences between earlier and later versions of the car, some of the caveats and maintenance tips, and it's been a big help. I look forward to owning it for many years to come. I'd like to also give a shout out to Ford Tech Makuloko on YouTube for his video about changing the CVT fluid at 60k mile intervals. I'm sure at some point I'll wish I lived in the Chicagoland area if I need to take this car for service, he really seems to know his stuff with these vehicles and the transmission fluid looks like a simple chore.

I've put about 400 miles on the car since I received it, had it inspected (passed with zero problems) and the only thing that bothered me was a minor squeak/rattle emanating from the rear hatch area. I opened and closed it several times, inspected everything including all the screw heads and all the rubber grommets, hinges, prop rods, etc., etc. and couldn't find anything that might be the source. Finally I found some people on this forum who had been experiencing the same type of noise with their Escapes. They advised wrapping the post for the rear hatch/latch with about 3" of electrical tape. It seemed too good to be true but I gave it a try and amazingly - it completely stopped the noise. I also wrapped the glass latch "U" with a couple of layers of electrical tape for good measure. Then I cleaned all the weatherstripping with soap and water, dried it off, and I'm going to put some 3M 08877 silicone lubricant on all the weatherstripping back there.

I was ecstatic that a couple inches of tape solved the only glitch on the car. It drives fantastically well and I'm very happy to be a member of the hybrid community. Picture is attached.

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 2WD 56k

Update: As for mileage, I haven't done any rigorous trials, but I've had no problem maintaining 32 MPG on the highway at 65-70 in cruise control and 40+ MPG around town and for short hops is easy if you play the hybrid game well. I'm guessing that means the hybrid system is working well and doing its job as it should. Pretty amazing for a 3500+ pound, 5 door SUV with real room for 4 adults and cargo.

Last edited by AlexK; 07-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New (to me) '10 FEH - And Solved Hatch Rattle

You don't want to live in Chicago or Ontario where I live for that matter unless you like rust. Sweet unit. Keep in touch with any issues and congratulations. Enjoy!

Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New (to me) '10 FEH - And Solved Hatch Rattle

Congrats, nice looking FEH.