New FEH Advertisement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Talking New FEH Advertisement

For those who collect such things (raises hand):

This appeared as a full spread in the EAA AirVenture (Oshkosh) 2006 Official Program.

Full-Size Image

Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Default Re: New FEH Advertisement

I haven't seen any advertising for the FEH in a while, much less in an aviation related magazine. I wonder what posessed Ford to advertise there. Maybe they figure anyone who flies an experimental aircraft is the type to drive what I would still consider an experimental motor vehicle. Good for Ford.

Shannon - were you at Oshkosh? I've always wanted to make it out there but haven't yet.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I haven't seen any advertising for the FEH in a while, much less in an aviation related magazine. I wonder what posessed Ford to advertise there. Maybe they figure anyone who flies an experimental aircraft is the type to drive what I would still consider an experimental motor vehicle. Good for Ford.

Shannon - were you at Oshkosh? I've always wanted to make it out there but haven't yet.
My husband was at Osh, but he was on assignment (he's a photographer; freelances for General Aviation News/Southern Aviator). One of these years, we're going to BOTH go and do so just for fun, rather than work.

Ford was a major sponsor of EAA AirVenture (Oshkosh) this year, or at least one of the major sponsors. They donated a bunch of Ford Escapes (NON-hybrids) for use by officials during the week-long festivities. My husband relayed this to me and we were both surprised they hadn't used the event as a way of showcasing the FEH -- it would have been the perfect application for a FEH since so much of the driving was below 20 mph. The only downside we could see is the "sneak up on folks" factor of a hybrid... but folks who can be on the lookout for golf carts can look out for a hybrid SUV, too. The good news is they did at least have one FEH on hand, but it wasn't doin' anything. No test drives or such...

Shelby (of Shelby Mustangs) was on site and signing autographs and there was some kind of Ford show truck on site as well (sorry, I've forgotten the name of it; my husband has a photo.)

Also, it's a common misconception, but the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) has members who fly all sorts of aircraft, not just strictly those that are classed by the FAA as "experimental".

EAA AirVenture/Oshkosh draws aviation enthusiasts from all walks of life, all types of aviation (civilian, military, commercial; experimental to tried and true Cessna Skyhawk 172), and all countries even.

My husband's gone to Oshkosh twice now. As I said, I'll be going one of these years, but when we can both enjoy it. It'd be awesome to fly there, but we don't own an aircraft -- we're strictly rent as you go. My husband's the pilot (private pilot certificate, airplane/single engine land, with an instrument rating) and I'm just a "pinch hitter"/companion... mostly take aerial photos when we're flying around.

Last edited by GeekGal; 08-07-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: elaboration
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Two words: "Disposable Income".

Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 AM

Many of the pilots I know are tighter with their finances than most people, they just have a (very) expensive hobby -- flying. You might be surprised... they probably save more than the average American, and I know they save more than we do. Granted, they are older (they're both retired, though the one that's retired military still works in a civilian and flight instruction capacity), so that helps.

We're not rolling in cash and buying the FEH was a no brainer for us. (And my lifetime MPG would climb if I'd ever need to refuel! )

Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Many of the pilots I know are tighter with their finances than most people, they just have a (very) expensive hobby -- flying.
You got that right - Avgas around here is $5 a gallon or more. Burning 10 gph in my Archer III, that really adds up quickly. It uses even more with the a/c running so I almost never use it. Mainly just to taxi.

I wonder if the FAA would frown on my applying some hybrid type techniques to flying. Maybe cutting off the fuel for descents? Taking off some of the attachments that cause excessive draft like the pitot tube or the GPS antennas? Hmmm.....