New '09 FEH Safety Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Default New '09 FEH Safety Ratings

If there is any questions on the '09 FEH/MMH Ratings, read this article:

"2009 Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid also achieved five-star ratings, the highest possible scores, in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tests to outpace the Toyota Highlander Hybrid and Toyota Prius. The Escape Hybrid arrived in 2005 as the world’s only hybrid sport utility vehicle and today remains the only sport utility to offer at least 30 mpg city and highway ratings"
http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/...5-star-rating/

Here is another one:

"Toyota was not immediately available for comment."
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...TO01/808180322

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 08-18-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: New '09 FEH Safety Ratings

Thanks for the details Gary.

The FEH can now boast about industry leading marks in FE, Reliability, and Safety.
Let's see what reasons Consumer Reports dreams up to rank the FEH lower than their favorites in the small SUV category. I used to respect CR's opinions - but their blatant prejudice against the FEH over the years has shown them to be just as biased (or lazy) as any other group. (CR - just because the badge says Subaru or Toyota doesn't make it the best product in its class.)

If reliability, safety, and convenience features are equal......why doesn't 20% better FE make the FEH stand out?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New '09 FEH Safety Ratings

GaryG: I'm not surprised to see the crash rankings go up for the '09, I knew there the new suspension and stability additions were part of Ford's goal to raise these. I'm glad to see that they were successful.

Glennb: I agree. I can see where Ford looks at the industry review magazines and is trying to address areas where they have received lower marks. The FEH is a great example where they are at or better than the competition in most key areas and yet CR will probably still rank them lower.

The '09 FEH should rule it's class.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
GaryG: I'm not surprised to see the crash rankings go up for the '09, I knew there the new suspension and stability additions were part of Ford's goal to raise these. I'm glad to see that they were successful.

The '09 FEH should rule it's class.
Hi Chris

The great ratings are a pleasant surprise and should make families with small kids breathe easier. Many people purchase a large SUV for this reason and are now facing a choice to go smaller because of gas prices. Ford needs to get this message out for stronger sales for even their gas Escapes.

I'm also hearing from new owners of the '09 that the 2.5L gas Escape is doing better than EPA Highway ratings and is not even broke-in yet. Same thing with my FEHL, EPA should have rated it at 38mpg city. No telling what these vehicles will get when there broke-in. What really makes me happy is the way Ford changed to the Lambda sensors from the heated oxygen sensors to handle ethanol much better. Ethanol is killing my '05 FEH's mileage and I wish there was some way to change it to the lambda sensors.

One other safety feature is the hands free cell phone addition with sync. I just switched from Verizon to ATT and got the new 3G W/16GB, but need to get it synced to my FEHL still.

GaryG

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok GaryG, you are really starting to upset me with all these examples of why your 09 ride is better than my 08!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by leoashton
Ok GaryG, you are really starting to upset me with all these examples of why your 09 ride is better than my 08!
Sorry about that Leo, many of the improvements in the '08 are much better than my '05 also. All of our FEH/MMH's are great vehicles and Ford is sure to improve newer models in the future.

Ford can't sit idle while Toyota and Honda take away sales to the American public, so we can only benefit with these kinds of improvements. My concern now is Ford raised the price Aug 1st by $1,030 on the base '09 FEH/MMH and is creating sticker shock to many people now. I was just on the Blue Oval Forum and seen a FWD FEHL sticker for over $35,000. Add tax, tag and dealer mark-ups and your in the high thirties. So be glad you own a FEH/MMH now because they're one of few vehicles that are holding their value today. Just compare the resale value of a gas Escape in your model year and you will see what I mean.

GaryG

Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it is a good thing that Ford has managed to make these improvements, I just didn't expect so many major ones within a year of the body/interior change. Obviously they decided to make the model change in two phases, appearance year one, then mechanical. And yes, sticker is now $1530 more than when I got my 08 last July... but it does not appear to be hurting purchases here in the bay area with gas still over $4 a gallon.