Neutral Coasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Neutral Coasting

I sure hope the MPG on my 08 eventually approaches John and Gary's MPG.

We have great weather, and in town driving gets me 33 MPG when I work at it. It is improving with time.

We do have a lot of hills. and that lowers MPG.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You proved at HybridFest that Neutral stops regen? Um... no, you didn't. Everyone on the planet has known that fact since the car came out in 2004!

Cheers!
John, breaking up a paragraph in my post and reposting it to mean something stupid and responding to it like this is down right dirty.

Now back to the subject of learning.

New research I've been doing has brought to light that Ford does not cooperate in revealing their design of the FEH eCVT in studies. It seems Toyota has been more than willing to disclose their designs, but researchers can't compared designs to Ford for lack of information. Two areas, the OWC and the secondary gear sets have a lot to be explained in the public forum. According to Fords patents, there is a strong need for a disconnect, but according to published Ford documents, there is no disconnect. One Ford document states that the engine is always connected to the wheels and that in neutral, there is no torque to the wheels. If this is correct, motor freeze, inertia damage from braking hard and rear-end crashes that propel the vehicle forward and generate current are not real problems as Ford discusses in their patents.

The single planetary gear set and two motor eCVT Toyota uses, does not have the additional non-planetary gear sets like the FEH. The dual planetary gear sets with two motor designs do have secondary gear sets like the FEH, and include various disconnect clutches in those gear sets. These were designs by Allison and I think Toyota is now using a system with dual planetary gear sets.

A while back there was discussion about a heater within the FEH Sanyo HV battery. I've located information that confirms a heater within the housing now.

Also, as far as power from the ICE to the generator, after ~12mph, power from the ICE to the generator doesn't increase. So this tells me that when I reach ~12mph, the generator is not going to take anymore power away from the ICE at higher speeds, This must mean the generator can charge at its max output at ~12mph also. The battery may not except max output because of the level of SoC. In fact, MPG gets better and the charge gets slower as the SoC increases within the battery.

GaryG

Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by GaryG
The single planetary gear set and two motor eCVT Toyota uses, does not have the additional non-planetary gear sets like the FEH. The dual planetary gear sets with two motor designs do have secondary gear sets like the FEH, and include various disconnect clutches in those gear sets. These were designs by Allison and I think Toyota is now using a system with dual planetary gear sets.

GaryG

One data point for you Gary, I do know the 2001-2003 Prius eCVT did have a reduction gear between the planetary gearset and the drive wheels. This is known in part because someone on the Yahoo! group wrecked their Prius and managed to get ahold of the transaxle and disassemble it. If my memory serves the output ring of the planetary gear is connected to the reduction gear via a chain. I also seem to recall that the reduction gears are "straight" rather than "helical" cut to reduce thrust forces on the bearings and improve efficiency. What I do not remember is whether the traction motor is on the input or the output side of these gears, but I suspect it was the output side as the RPMs would be more manageable in a large motor.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

How do you post an image on this forum?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The only way I have been able to do it is to place the image file on the web and reference it to that. I can't seem to load directly from my computer, but maybe that's just a problem on my end.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Yea I really dont know how to do it that way. I found a drawing of the FEH power train that shows the OWC and a breke on the gen and the planitary gear and the other gears. Its on the IATN (international automotive tech network) which you have to be a member to access.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Yea I really dont know how to do it that way. I found a drawing of the FEH power train that shows the OWC and a breke on the gen and the planitary gear and the other gears. Its on the IATN (international automotive tech network) which you have to be a member to access.
Mark,

Try going to the main page (www.greehybrid.com) and select "Share" from the main menu. You should be able to upload your photos there the then post a link here.

I hope this helps,

rcomeau

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Geek

For those that aren't aware, this little ****-fight has been
going on for WEEKS, and was summarily thrown off of CleanMPG
a couple of weeks ago and has evidently landed here. I submit
to both primary parties that the best idea is to let it ride
until someone's got genuinely hard evidence, i.e. no more guesswork
and conjecture, and at such time please try to leave your
personal agendas out of it because it's clear that far too much
of that is in play.
Feel free to continue posting references, because many of them
are fascinating reading, but try to avoid holding those theoretical
discourses up as "proof" because so far, they aren't.
_H*

Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Huh? You are mistaken my friend.
I don't know what your agenda is my friend, but nothing was ever "thrown off" of Clean MPG that I am aware of. Please get your facts straight before posting.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/ford/...-feh-5711.html

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM

It is stated in the Workshop repair manual in many places that "The damper contains a clutch which is designed to slip briefly during vehicle operation. It is essential that no grease, oil or cleaner solvents be allowed to contaminate the slip clutch." This is the "one-way clutch" there talking about.

We can see from many drawings from articles that there is a spring damper like those on a conventional clutch disc. I've changed many clutches in manual transmission cars in my race days, and this looks like the same thing. The fact that there is slip, there must be some type of pressure plate that is operated by electrical means for the lack of a manual clutch pedal.

Any thoughts?

GaryG

Quick Reply: Neutral Coasting

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands