Navigation Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Navigation Weirdness

Hi all,

I got a 2008 MMH with navigation. I have about 2800 miles on it. Its been a great car but the navigation showed some weirdness this morning. On my way to work the navigation rebooted twice and 4 other times the navigation looks like it momentarily lost power (lights on buttons and backlight on LCD went out) for 1 to 2 seconds. I was listening to the radio and on all instances the radio stopped also. I wasn't routing anywhere using the navigation.

Hope to hear from all you experts.

Happy motoring.

Shawn

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation Weirdness

Originally Posted by spmrebel
Hi all,

I got a 2008 MMH with navigation. I have about 2800 miles on it. Its been a great car but the navigation showed some weirdness this morning. On my way to work the navigation rebooted twice and 4 other times the navigation looks like it momentarily lost power (lights on buttons and backlight on LCD went out) for 1 to 2 seconds. I was listening to the radio and on all instances the radio stopped also. I wasn't routing anywhere using the navigation.

Hope to hear from all you experts.

Happy motoring.

Shawn
Can't say for sure if its the same with the '08's but was a NAV disc in the drive at the time? Even if you weren't navigating?

On the '06's the system seems to track your location EVEN IF you don't have it active IF the CD (ours are CD based) is in the drive. If the CD misreads (dust, scratch) the system reboots. I've seen that happen several times.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hi TeeSter,

Yes, the DVD was in the drive at the time this happened. I haven't removed the DVD since I got the car back in Oct. 2007. I was thinking about removing it to see if it was dirty or scratched. I will do this when I get home. The road I was on was in very good condition and relatively smooth. The reboot happened about 3 miles apart from each other. What is weird is this whole thing happened on the stretch of road I take daily going to work and back home.

Happy motoring,

Shawn

Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 AM

This sounds like a DVD read error. Check the DVD for scratches/dust. Condensation on the disk can also be a cause but I don't think that's very likely in this case with the location of the DVD (well protected behind the touch screen).

I guess this could also have been a loss of power/ground. I would keep a close eye out for other NAV reboots and if it happens again bring it to the attention of your dealer. If you do talk to the dealer, make sure they make a record of your complaint. It will be helpful if a replacement unit is needed in the future.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
tat
Enthusiast

I had the same type thing happen except we didn't have the nav disc inserted. Our nav system went off and on several times although the radio kept playing. I called to take the car in but it was about a month until my schedule would allow it. The nav system continued the strange behavior. Just a couple of days before I was to take it in I tried to eject a cd that was in the drive and it wouldn't come out at first. When I finally got it out it was very dirty. I put the nav disc back in and haven't had a problem since. Obviously my problem was the dirty disc as mentioned above.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Tat: Do you think the disc got dirty while inside the drive or during handling?

I ask because I inserted my DVD on day one before even getting home and haven't ejected it since. Maybe I should eject it and see if it's picking up dust inside the unit.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
tat
Enthusiast

In our case I think the cd that had been placed in the cd drive must have been dirty when it went in because it was extremely dirty after I got it out. I'm not just talking dust....I'm talking about something smeared on that had to be washed off. I haven't had that problem since though.

A dirty disc causing all that problem seemed to be new to the dealership when I told them. They said they'd make a note of it.