Nav System Screen Protector???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Nav System Screen Protector???

Does any one know of a source for pre-cut screen protectors for the Nav system display? I haven't been able to locate one yet. Thank you.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Megageek
Default Re: Nav System Screen Protector???

The folks at http://www.shieldzone.com will custom make one for you. They make the Invisible shield for iPods and cell phones. I put one on my iPod and it's virtually indestructible. I ordered one for my cell phone and am thinking of getting one for my Alpine head unit (would be a custom order also).

Old 05-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Dell Axim Pocket PC. I just used one of my screen protectors from it for the NAV unit. It fits close enough.

Gary V.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I found the link has the pre-cut screen protectors for Toyota Prius Multi Display.
They charge $12.49 + 2.99 shipping. I just bought one from them.

link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scree...temZ8066265879

Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 AM

I don't have them yet, but I've read very good reviews (high legibility, no adverse affect to touch screen sensitivity, etc.) of the screen protectors called Clear Touch Crystal. There's also a Clear Touch Anti-Glare version.

I have two ordered and am awaiting delivery -- one specifically for my Garmin Streetpilot 2720 portable GPS unit (which has a touch screen), and one that I think will fit my Ford Escape Hybrid navigation radio's screen (not a touch screen, but still people poke at it!) -- my FEH's screen is 4" diagonal so I just searched online for a PDA that had that screen dimension. In this case, I think the HP iPAQ hx4705 PDA's screen protector will fit perfectly.

I'll post a followup when I have it and apply it. The site I link above lets you submit a request if they don't have a screen protector for something you own, like my Garmin 60CSx (handheld GPS, mostly for hiking/geocaching). All of us hybrid owners should request screen protectors for our various makes/models of hybrids and I'm sure they'll start carrying ones in the proper dimensions. Otherwise, improvisation works for now. I don't think I'll have to trim the HP one down at all to fit my FEH's screen.

Last edited by GeekGal; 05-18-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: elaboration
Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

What's the purpose of the screen?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just use a micro fiber cloth which i bought for 6 bucks (pack of 3) to wipe finger prints and dust off the screen. Does the job very nicely; i keep it handy inside the middle compartment. Unless i have fingernails like a tyrannosaurus i dont think the screen will scratch in any way; only way i can think of it scratching is if i use a pen or something other than my finger to press on it, then perhaps it will.

I guess it all comes down to how you are with your things and how you take care of them.

Last edited by CamelFilters; 05-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by CamelFilters
I just use a micro fiber cloth which i bought for 6 bucks (pack of 3) to wipe finger prints and dust off the screen. Does the job very nicely; i keep it handy inside the middle compartment. Unless i have fingernails like a tyrannosaurus i dont think the screen will scratch in any way; only way i can think of it scratching is if i use a pen or something other than my finger to press on it, then perhaps it will.

I guess it all comes down to how you are with your things and how you take care of them.
I have a microfiber cloth, too (several, actually, since my husband and I are photographers and often are hauling camera gear). But I'd rather protect from car wash detailers, mechanics, overzealous passengers, etc. who could scratch the non-touch screen in my vehicle by trying to use it like a touch screen. Penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all that.

I take care of stuff so well that when I sell used geek gear on eBay the new owners report they're "like new", if that tells you anything. PDAs, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by scandi1
What's the purpose of the screen?
What? You have a Prius so I presume you know what the purpose of the screen is, unless you're asking about the one in my Ford Escape Hybrid? Same function as in the Prius, just not a touch screen.

If you're asking about the screen protector it's just a clear plastic that serves to protect various screens (in PDAs, digital cameras, GPS units, etc.) from scratches, dirt/dust/finger oils, etc.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, you're right, I meant the screen protector; since the Prius isn't a touch screen, does the screen protector reduce glare or make it more visible in bright sunlight/? Can one just find the clear coating film that they put on watch crystals to protect them? I don't know what it is called, but it would be shiny, and not non glare. I do find that since I like driving with the windows open, it does become dusty and then makes it difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Quick Reply: Nav System Screen Protector???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands