NAV system Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV system Gripes

Originally Posted by stevewa
The short answer:

1. Yes you can install a switch to defeat this function by fooling the navigation into thinking you are not moving.

2. Yes there is a federal law which requires both the disclaimer and the lockout functionality.
Thanks Steve & Rich - The only problem I see with a switch to fool the NAV into thinking you are not moving is that it would probably negate any distance data that would be sent to the FEH system for computing FE & DTE.

Gary –Found this message already posted on the Yahoo forum where you had posted a message - I already hacked the GPS system! - John (gpsman1). Going to have to wait till after work to get to the site and inquire a little more from him (post blocked here at work L)

Thanks Guys for all the help and input - Phillip

Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: NAV system Gripes

After sending an email questioning NAVTEQ about why I could not access 'Points of Interest' while the vehicle was in motion - was it there decision of safety or was their a law etc prohibiting this. Here is there complete reply.

-----Original Message----- (must have been forwarded to Laura, they cut out my question before answering - Harvey couldn't be bothered with such trivial stuff)

From: Harvey Buxman [mailto:Harvey.Buxman@centerpartners.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:05 PM
To: Johnson, Laura
Subject: Points of interest

Phillip,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ.

The driver must not attempt to operate any detailed operation of the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion. Give full attention to driving and to the road. Pull off the road and park in a safe place before performing detailed operations. This is a safety feature of the navigation system itself. Please contact Ford at 800-392-3673 to suggest enhancements to their system.

Talk about passing the buck
Phillip

Old 12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevewa
2. Yes there is a federal law which requires both the disclaimer and the lockout functionality.
??

Some Navs operate completely while the vehicle is in motion. So it couldn't be a federal law. At least, not to lock it out.

As for the disclaimer, I see that more of a liability thing and not mandated by law.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Phillip, thank you for all that hard work in putting your post together. Now anyone can find details on the Nav sys motion disconnect and know its been tested and works. You even went through old post at Yahoo FEH to get to the bottom of this task. I like the part where you can use that blank button space for the switch also. You have expanded on GPSMAN1 work and done a great job for those that have the Nav Sys.

GaryG

Old 12-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a huge NAV system gripe. My trip to Colorado made a great acid test of the accuracy of the system. This is because I literally drive the route without a map, I've made this trip so often. The NAV system insisted that I needed to drive through Albequerque, NM., despite repeated attempts to tell the system that this was indeed 300 miles FARTHER than the actual trip distance, which isn't on any unknown roads, even in the "low detail" areas. Only when it could no longer find any other podunk little roads along the trip to turn me off of the acutal route, did it finally give up, and route the correct one. My Garmin routes this trip flawlessly, and I don't even have to screw with those stupid CD's, as it has the entire U.S. map loaded into it's CF card. By the time I got home, I gave Fords "NAV" system an "F". If it wasn't for the fact that the thing was forced on me to get the hybrid computer, I would just a soon not have the NAV system at all.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I have a huge NAV system gripe. My trip to Colorado made a great acid test of the accuracy of the system. This is because I literally drive the route without a map, I've made this trip so often. The NAV system insisted that I needed to drive through Albequerque, NM., despite repeated attempts to tell the system that this was indeed 300 miles FARTHER than the actual trip distance, which isn't on any unknown roads, even in the "low detail" areas. Only when it could no longer find any other podunk little roads along the trip to turn me off of the acutal route, did it finally give up, and route the correct one. My Garmin routes this trip flawlessly, and I don't even have to screw with those stupid CD's, as it has the entire U.S. map loaded into it's CF card. By the time I got home, I gave Fords "NAV" system an "F". If it wasn't for the fact that the thing was forced on me to get the hybrid computer, I would just a soon not have the NAV system at all.
Wow. I have to say that the Michigan map and the Canada map seem to be stellar. In fact, the Nav system found a shortcut to save me fuel and time in an area that I grew up in.

Good to know if I'm ever abroad.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

Has anyone installed one of the after market nav systems? I don't have the nav system on my 2006 Escape but have been looking into them.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atomooka
Has anyone installed one of the after market nav systems? I don't have the nav system on my 2006 Escape but have been looking into them.
Built in or external?

If you're talking about external, I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that's great. It's got a 10gb microdrive built in with all of of the US and most of Canada built in. It also has European maps on the drive, but you have to pay to activate them.

The nice thing about it being external is that I can take it on vacation.

My parents have a Garmin until that they like ... but I don't have a lot of experience with it.

david

Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atomooka
I have a Garmin 2610 that floats between my other vehicles. I only came with a 128mg card, so I bought a 2 gig card for it. I have all of the U.S. and Canada loaded in full high detail, with a half gig of room still left on the card. Mine has voice routing, and sits on top of the dashboard via a weighted bean bag. It also has a remote, and day/night modes with auto contrast/bright on the screen for maximum visibility. The best price I could find was at www.getfeetwet.com. They have some refurbished units on sale right now for $449.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

My 2005 HEV did not have the OEM Nav package. My wife surprised me for Christmas this year with a Garmin Street Pilot GPS. It sits on the dash and plugs into the 12-volt outlet. One nice feature is that I can access the system while the vehicle is moving. It has a "Safe" mode that prohibits user inputs, but you can choose to turn off the safe mode and access any of the features while driving. I still get the disclaimer when I power up the unit, but it seems odd that it is legal for Garmin to sell it with this override feature, but the OEM does (won't) offer it. Less sawsuits, perhaps?

Quick Reply: NAV system Gripes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands