NAV System

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV System

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Like I said, IMHO, Ford sees CD-based NAV disks as obsolete technology.
They're right about that, every other newer system out there uses either a DVD with the entire USA & Canada on one disc or an internal hard drive with no disc's at all required.

CD based?? That's so obsolete that it's laughable.....

~John

Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Phillip (VietVet'67), thanks for speaking your mind. This is my first experience with GPS in a vehicle and it works just fine for me as well. As you said, the map may read incorrectly on new roads, etc., however, it does get me where I need to go. As Tim (Teester) said, how did we all get along before Mapquest and GPS? (and cell phones for that matter?)

Granted, I like new technology as much as the next geek but I've never heard so many people b#tch about their vehicles as much as I've seen on this forum.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Up until the past few days I have been pretty happy with the NAV GPS system. At worse it would put me a block away from the road I was on when it became confused.

The past few days it has regularly been 0.5 to 1.5 miles off. I can adjust my position four or five times in 10 miles, do laps in a parking lot, etc., and it still will be off in 30 to 90 seconds.

I am giving the Mercury dealer a call tomorrow to arrange service. I cannot travel 13 hours to Memphis, TN at the end of the month with this problem and have any chance of finding my hotel.

I hope this is something easy to fix, but right now I am rather disgusted with the system.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Jimihdkunk
Up until the past few days I have been pretty happy with the NAV GPS system. At worse it would put me a block away from the road I was on when it became confused.

The past few days it has regularly been 0.5 to 1.5 miles off. I can adjust my position four or five times in 10 miles, do laps in a parking lot, etc., and it still will be off in 30 to 90 seconds.

I am giving the Mercury dealer a call tomorrow to arrange service. I cannot travel 13 hours to Memphis, TN at the end of the month with this problem and have any chance of finding my hotel.

I hope this is something easy to fix, but right now I am rather disgusted with the system.
You may want to look at other factors. If there's certain major transmitters in the area, or there's been some solar flares, it can cause the Nav to "get lost".

A few weeks ago, mine kept getting off, during a period of solar flares. After that, it worked fine again.

Occasionally, I drive by GM's technical center, where they have a giant dish, and only around there, occasionally, it'll get confused.

The rest of the time, mine has been right as rain, whatever that means.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Question Inaccurate FEH Nav

I have a 2007 FEH with the factory navigation. Has anyone else experienced with its accuracy? When I'm parked at my house it shows that I'm several blocks away. I'm trying to determine if the nav is just crappy or if there may be a defect in my unit.

Also, does anyone else find the points of interest completely worthless? It never finds anything.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Smile Re: Inaccurate FEH Nav

Originally Posted by tbrule
I have a 2007 FEH with the factory navigation. Has anyone else experienced with its accuracy? When I'm parked at my house it shows that I'm several blocks away. I'm trying to determine if the nav is just crappy or if there may be a defect in my unit.

Also, does anyone else find the points of interest completely worthless? It never finds anything.
Please check the thread already started addressing your same question/complaint, post #23 and up.

NAV System

Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Inaccurate FEH Nav

I just purchased a 2007 FEH and my Nav system seems to show me in the right place although it does say my street number is 300 instead of 310 but close enough.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Mine is off too by several blocks. It is saying objects are futher noth that they really are.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Mine has always worked perfectly, and I have one of the earliest versions.
I also find the POI very useful, and the telephone numbers handy.
You can call ahead for resrvations from a cell phone.

-John

Originally Posted by tbrule

Old 08-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I find if I pull the disc out.... the GPS can be pretty inaccurate for a little while. I've taken to just leaving the guidance disc in and using my CD changer for music and I've had alot less trouble. I think it continues to track you even if the NAV/MAP isn't navigated so it has a constant fix... whereas if you eject the disc it has to reestablish the initial fix... for some GPS units (especially if they have alot of trees/buildings) that can take as much as 10min or more. The good ones are faster, but it is an older unit.

Are you leaving your nav CD in all the time?

Quick Reply: NAV System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands