MY NEW 2006 GREEN MACHINE

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default MY NEW 2006 GREEN MACHINE

Just got a 2006 Titanium Green 4X4 Escape Hybrid last weekend. At first, I had poor MPG readings (under 20MPG), but tonight, I filled up and reset the Info Center.

With 476 miles (I'm driving WAY more than I had planned - this SUV is FUN!!!) from new, I am now showing an average at around 36 MPH and I parked it tonight with a peak reading of 44.3 MPG!!!

I have to say thank you for all the advice on this board and on the Yahoo group. I have learned a LOT and I am getting the results that exceed the EPA listing.

As for my driving terrain - it is Phoenix, AZ, mostly city stop and go, averaging around 35 - 45, with a few 25 zones as well. I use mostly the recycle AC but sometimes the heat gets so intense that my wife and I switch to MAX AC. But once it cools down, we stay on regular AC and do fine - even at 105 + outside!

Another thing I love is that Low gear thing. I drive a GMC/Isuzu diesel truck at work and it has an exhaust brake that's great for slowing you down quickly. Always wanted such a thing on my personal vehicle. Well the Hybrid's Low gear works very much like that - reminds me of those wings that pop out on the Knight Rider car toi slow it down. Works great on the Hybrid!

You can see a couple of pics, including a photo I took tonight of my MPG display, in the Photos section under MY GREEN MACHINE.

Thanks all - I an SO HAPPY!!!

Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MY NEW 2006 GREEN MACHINE

Unless I am on wide-open highway, I use the low "gear" setting all the time. In stop and go traffic or a street with several traffic lights, low keeps you from using the friction brakes by letting the regeneration slow you down. Hopefully your mileage keeps improving like most of us as we learn how to drive all over again.