My FEH Can Walk on Water

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default My FEH Can Walk on Water

My FEH can walk on water!
Here is my FEH on the lake today, not only at the lake.

This was about 2pm today. I have a lake-front rental home. Soon after, I took the following picture from my backyard. You can see the lake in the background.

Maybe not exact, but it looks like -4 degrees F to me.
There was also a 30 MPH wind, makeing the WCF -30 degrees.
Tonight's actual low is forcast as -16'F.

If you have any questions about cold weather and the FEH, I'll be happy to help you find answers. It boggles my mind how some people who only drive in mild climates, think they can predict how this car behaves in all conditions.

I did use my plug-in heater, and my battery was 54 degrees (Tav) at the start of my drive. My water temp was 75 degrees. After about 5 minutes, I was able to drive in EV out on the lake. I was getting a MxC ( max charge) rate of 36 amps into the battery at first. After a while, the battery self-heated itself ( from use ) and was at about 66'F. The MxC climbed to 45 amps. The MxD for EV driving was 65 amps. When driving, ICE on, the intake air was +1 to +3 degrees, even though actual air temp was -4.

Still, the limiting factor was CHT. In almost all cases, I could not drive in EV long enough to get my battery to 40%. At -4'F the CHT would drop too low ( less than 190'F ) in 1 or 2 minutes. On went the ICE. ICE most of the time went off again at CHT 216'F. One time ( out of a dozen ) it went off colder than this, but I forget the exact number.

Pretty regularly, the pattern was ICE on at 188'F, ICE off at 216'F.

This really looks like the number to watch to predict EV at very, cold temperatures. But you can't use EV effectively unless your battery is close to "normal" and mine was... thanks to plug-in heat... which did cost some electricity $.

-John

Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner
Default Re: My FEH Can Walk on Water

That looks like an FEH fishing shack. You can just drill a hole and drop in a line without leaving the driver's seat!