Moving average econ

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Moving average econ

I'm one of those people unfortunate enough not to have found this forum before buying my '06 FEH. If I had, I would definitely have sprung for the NAV. As it is, I'm stuck with the little display under the tachometer. (Yes, I'm considering the ScanGauge, but I don't have one yet.)

When I picked up my new vehicle in mid December '05, the average econ read 24.1 mpg. Over time I have managed to edge it up, and I'm now sitting at 29.3 mpg. Not bad for the Canadian winter! :)

I'd like to know how the average econ is calculated. I'm assuming some form of moving (or running) average, or after a while it would hardly move at all. But I want to know when the effects of the delivery people will have worn off and I'm seeing only my own driving habits reflected in the reading.

Also, is there a way to reset that tiny display? Or is that reserved for the people with the NAV?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Ronin
Default Re: Moving average econ

Press the SET button in the center console.. I think this resets the MPG.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raven
Press the SET button in the center console.. I think this resets the MPG.
You have to press and hold the SET button for about 4 or 5 seconds.

Not sure exactly how it calculates average mileage. I reset mine at every fillup and it usually reads about 2-3% higher than doing the calculations manually based on miles travelled divided by gas added to the tank.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
You have to press and hold the SET button for about 4 or 5 seconds.
Thanks, nitramjr (and Raven). I'll give that a try. So when I do that I assume it resets to 0 mpg. I guess I'll find out for sure at my next fillup! :)

Is that the only effect of the reset?

Old 02-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I always reset mine right after I fill up, before I restart so it does go to zero. Since the engine is warm when I get gas, it usually goes quickly into EV and by the time I get home I am showing 99.9 on the meter. It changes a lot with just a few miles on it after a reset but it stabilizes by 50 or so miles.

When I am testing a technique or just curious about how I am doing for fuel efficiency at a particular time I will do a reset and this gives you a good indication of your instantaneous mpg, especially at a steady state like cruising on the highway.

There are no other effects of the reset.
By the way, your '06 should have an oil life reminder - when you change te oil you push and hold the set button to reset the reminder to 100%remaining life. All this does is count back from 100% to 0% linearly from 0 miles to 10k miles after an oilchange IF you remember to reset it. Kinda useless but you have it, might as well use it.

Ray

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: Moving average econ

People without the Nav screen have a slight edge that I wasn't aware of.
I just saw on here that the little green screen will go up to 99.9MPG.
This is pretty cool. If you have Navi, you don't get data on the little green screen. Ford told me there is only one data cable, and they could either put it to the instrument cluster, or the Audio/Nav unit, but not both at the same time.

The Nav display only goes up to 60.0 MPG then reads "max" for everything above that. Granted, it's pretty impossible to keep over 60 MPG for entire tanks, but for short 15-50 mile sections I have done that.

I have the NAV and also bought a scangauge, which goes to 9999 MPG.

The Navi unit will hold 2000 "Data points" and most people agree there is one data point per minute, so the running average is the past 2000 minutes if you never reset it. This is about 3-4 tanks for most people. Close to 2000 miles in some cases ( if you average 60 MPH ).

Some poeple will try to tell you it holds 2000 miles of data, which does not make any sense. Think about it, your MPG average changes while you are standing still doesn't it?

Take Care and enjoy your FEH.
The FEH WILL BE FEATURED in a new commercial campaign during the Super Bowl.