MMH - windshield damage, again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default MMH - windshield damage, again!

Just wondering if anyone is having any difficulties with their windshields cracking. About two months ago while leaving a parking lot, I heard a pop and my windshield (WS) cracked. It started at the bottom of the passenger WS in the black area of the glass under the WS wiper blade. Because there was a small (very small) "star", Ford said something must have hit my glass. I had a reputable local company replace it as it was in stock.

Now yesterday while traveling all of a sudden there was a pop again and I looked up and there was an 8" crack -- same place as the first time. I pulled over the road and noticed a very small "star" again -- just like the first time. Same area, at the base of the WS, in the black area, just below the blade. Not sure how a rock would get there and in the same place and within 2-months apart.

I had family in the car and they did not hear anything hit the WS, just heard the pop. Am in AZ and is hot, but when parked I vent the moonroof to let heat out. While driving I do have the A/C on.

Just wondering if I am just a "lucky" person or if others are having this problem. I'll be going to FORD again. This time I'm taking a picture of the glass in case this happens a third time. Insurance company will allow three replacements a year. Wow, two in two months! Thanks for any input/suggestions!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH - windshield damage, again!

Originally Posted by greeneagle
Just wondering if anyone is having any difficulties with their windshields cracking. About two months ago while leaving a parking lot, I heard a pop and my windshield (WS) cracked. It started at the bottom of the passenger WS in the black area of the glass under the WS wiper blade. Because there was a small (very small) "star", Ford said something must have hit my glass. I had a reputable local company replace it as it was in stock.

Now yesterday while traveling all of a sudden there was a pop again and I looked up and there was an 8" crack -- same place as the first time. I pulled over the road and noticed a very small "star" again -- just like the first time. Same area, at the base of the WS, in the black area, just below the blade. Not sure how a rock would get there and in the same place and within 2-months apart.

I had family in the car and they did not hear anything hit the WS, just heard the pop. Am in AZ and is hot, but when parked I vent the moonroof to let heat out. While driving I do have the A/C on.

Just wondering if I am just a "lucky" person or if others are having this problem. I'll be going to FORD again. This time I'm taking a picture of the glass in case this happens a third time. Insurance company will allow three replacements a year. Wow, two in two months! Thanks for any input/suggestions!
Doesn't sound like a stone.... sounds like there is a metal burr, weld, or something with the window mounting area....so when they put the window in the burr causes localized stress and starts a crack. That would be my guess.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH - windshield damage, again!

Originally Posted by greeneagle

I had the same thing happen to me several months ago. Heard the cracking sound then noticed a crack start on the passenger corner and head towards the middle at the wiper blade level, then back down. No stone or evidence thereof, but the windshield was not under warranty because that warranty is only 2 years (if I recall correctly). Paid for the replacement out of pocket. I hope it does not happen twice...

Cheers,

rcomeau