MMH dealer options... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default MMH dealer options... Thoughts?

I've got my '08 MMH ordered, now it's time to shop options. Can anybody chime in on the following options and concerns
  1. Mobile-Ease Bluetooth attachment for Nav equipped Mariners: 3W4Z-19G399-AA - As far as I can tell this is the "if equipped" that the manual is refering to when you look at the little phone button. Has anyone gotten this to work on an '08 FEH/MMH/MTH? Maybe a few extra wire splices to get this puppy crammed in there, or is it hopeless on the '08 Nav unit.
  2. Full sized spare - Heard in one of these threads that someone had pulled that off. Said it actually fit. Any trouble lowering it when the car was running low (since it has a flat)?
  3. Tire warranty - Do the dealers sell them and if they do, are they worth the paper they are printed on?
  4. Chrome running boards (be interested to see a pic of one installed). Wife wants running boards and likes the thought of the chrome ones over the paint to match ones. Any pictures of either to compare?
  5. Trailer hitch - I'd like to get one for the once a year that we get something bigger than the car can carry.
  6. DVD - Saw a ford "approved" option on one, but I'd really like to just hijack the NAV LCD. Anyone figure out how to do this?
  7. Engine block heater: F5RZ6A051B / 8M6Z6B018A - Most Texas service departments don't even know what these are, let alone how to install them. I did it on my other car myself, since I wasn't feeling real confident given the confused looks the local guys gave me. So how hard is it, requires a radiator flush right?

I'll keep digging and insert references to pertinent info as I find it.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

PS. What's up with Escape Central? Couldn't get registered there, you gotta know someone or something?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH dealer options... Thoughts?

There are topic threads for most, if not all, of your questions already. Rather than start repeating them all here, I would just assign you some reading homework.

Last edited by WaltPA; 09-14-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll give you a couple of thoughts:

Full size spare? Why bother? I haven't had a flat in 20 years.

Tire Warranty - All extended warranties are profit centers. If you can afford the low probablity failure, don't buy an extended warranty.

Chrome running boards - Sounds awful. Why not stick with the factory black items? (I'm assuming the MMH has the same options as the FEH)

The Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com was a very easy install and works great.

The nav DVD is a separate drive deep in the unit, accessed by flipping open the nav screen. It's not the CD player. I don't think this is an option.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by WaltPA
There are topic threads for most, if not all, of your questions already. Rather than start repeating them all here, I would just assign you some reading homework.
Yeah, I did see a few threads, I'll post cross references when I find them.

Originally Posted by KenG
Full size spare? Why bother? I haven't had a flat in 20 years.
Well the car is for the wife, so I'm a bit less cavalier. Personally I wish I had as good a record. I've never owned a car that I haven't had to drive on a spare at least once. So I always assume if a car has a spare, that eventually, I will use it.

Tire Warranty - All extended warranties are profit centers. If you can afford the low probablity failure, don't buy an extended warranty.
Agreed, but for road-hazard coverage, my wife usually gets our money back. New homes construction is still a boom in Texas despite Countrywide bank. Roofing nails, screws and even the occasional bolt make it into her tires at least once a season. Having the warranty saves her the "Yep, that nail punched the belting, gonna need a whole new set of tires" BS. Then agian, maybe that's why we always end up using our spare

Chrome running boards - Sounds awful. Why not stick with the factory black items? (I'm assuming the MMH has the same options as the FEH)
Yep, I think so too. MMH has no running board option, although they have "endorsed" running board accessories.

The Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com was a very easy install and works great.
Thanks, part number 70758. I'll have to see how it looks agianst the lines of the car.

The nav DVD is a separate drive deep in the unit, accessed by flipping open the nav screen. It's not the CD player. I don't think this is an option.
Yeah, niether did I, but I found one in their accessory guide and was just hoping that someone with the system could chime in with a review.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
N/A

Hey, did you guys know that Mercury has its own accessories site like Ford's? The side steps and other Ford-made stuff is there:

http://www.mercuryaccessories.com

I would recommend the factory steps if you have the need for something like that. I added them to my FEH and they are really handy, look good and do not create any wind noise like the nerf-bar style steps can.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Dan, Goodyear offered me lifetime road hazard for $12 or 10% of the cost of the factory tire. They replaced a sidewall damaged tire and later gave me free roadside service and fixed another flat. I bought the full size spare (factory rim and tire) and they changed it fine. Once the spare tire is lowered, the cable can be released so the tire can slide out. If Goodyear (they sub it out to AAA) has a clearance problem changing the tire, it's their problem. In my case the front tire was flat with a fast leak, but they filled the tire and slid a air bag under the FEH to jack it up.

You never know what conditions you may have where you get a flat and that service was great in my case. I was in a bad part of WPB Florida when I got the flat, so me or my wife having to get out of the car to change a tire or to get help would have been risky. This happened at around 5pm, so after dark would have made things worst.

Cheap insurance I think for driving on the road today. Also, you never know if an accident will damage a rim. My recommendation is plan ahead as much as reasonably possible. All my vehicle tires have road hazard protection for me, my wife and Kids driving. What's in your wallet?

GaryG

Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
08 MMH 4WD

If you go to - http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/
You can then sign up in the owners section. (currently acting up)

Once you do that you can download the manuals in PDF form. The tire warranty guide is one of them. Each tire MFG that could be installed on your MMH has a seperate section. (I attached a copy I had downloaded last month)

On the Mercury accessories site that mtberman posted (2 above this post), you can outfit your MMH with many accesories & even see what your MMH will look like. The running bords are one of the accesories. Strange you can't factory order these like on the FEH
http://www.mercuryaccessories.com

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tire Warranty 1st printing.pdf (865.2 KB, 408 views)
Old 09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=Dan;143125]I've got my '08 MMH ordered, now it's time to shop options. Can anybody chime in on the following options and concerns
  1. Trailer hitch - I'd like to get one for the once a year that we get something bigger than the car can carry.
  2. Engine block heater: F5RZ6A051B / 8M6Z6B018A - Most Texas service departments don't even know what these are, let alone how to install them. I did it on my other car myself, since I wasn't feeling real confident given the confused looks the local guys gave me. So how hard is it, requires a radiator flush right?
I'll keep digging and insert references to pertinent info as I find it.

I had the engine block heater installed on my 05 AWD Escape Hybrid and there was no radiator flush--at least it did not state so on the installation bill. Go to the thread "Poor Mans PHEV" for more information.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Dan, Goodyear offered me lifetime road hazard for $12 or 10% of the cost of the factory tire. They replaced a sidewall damaged tire and later gave me free roadside service and fixed another flat. I bought the full size spare (factory rim and tire) and they changed it fine. Once the spare tire is lowered, the cable can be released so the tire can slide out. If Goodyear (they sub it out to AAA) has a clearance problem changing the tire, it's their problem. In my case the front tire was flat with a fast leak, but they filled the tire and slid a air bag under the FEH to jack it up.

You never know what conditions you may have where you get a flat and that service was great in my case. I was in a bad part of WPB Florida when I got the flat, so me or my wife having to get out of the car to change a tire or to get help would have been risky. This happened at around 5pm, so after dark would have made things worst.

Cheap insurance I think for driving on the road today. Also, you never know if an accident will damage a rim. My recommendation is plan ahead as much as reasonably possible. All my vehicle tires have road hazard protection for me, my wife and Kids driving. What's in your wallet?

GaryG

Gary,

Are there any good parts of WPB?

Jerry