Miles To Empty

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Question Re: Miles To Empty

Interesting concept.
Way to think outside the box.
I have my doubts that the system is that sophisticated...
But very interesting thought indeed...
Something usually overlooked!
-John

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Miles To Empty

Originally Posted by wwest
What about state of charge of the hybrid battery and a recent history of use or non-use of hybrid capability?

34 MPG with a fully charged hybrid battery and a recent history of lots of regenerative braking to recharge the hybrid battery would be a lot different in a DTE calculation vs 34 MPG HWY use with virtually no recent history of braking regeneration and a low hybrid battery charge.
They have a MTE on most of their vehicles. I would bet it just uses the same algorithm as those vehicles and doesn't even know its on a hybrid. Its just an average MPG over an amount of time vs the amount of gas in the tank and nothing more. Thats what I'd put my money on.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
They have a MTE on most of their vehicles. I would bet it just uses the same algorithm as those vehicles and doesn't even know its on a hybrid. Its just an average MPG over an amount of time vs the amount of gas in the tank and nothing more. Thats what I'd put my money on.
I agree Tim, distance traveled is also calculated. I read in the manual that the warning you get when you leave the turn signal on to long is 1/2 mile of travel. That has nothing to do with MTE, but the PCM is amazing and is constantly calculating many things at the same time.

GaryG

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
I agree Tim, distance traveled is also calculated. I read in the manual that the warning you get when you leave the turn signal on to long is 1/2 mile of travel. That has nothing to do with MTE, but the PCM is amazing and is constantly calculating many things at the same time.

GaryG
Which reminds me... everyone keeps talking about that warning for the turn signal and I've seen it go off on my girlfriends mountaineer, but I swear I've driven just as far with it on in my escape and its never gone off on me...

Is it just disabled somehow on mine? Not on the FEH '06? Anyone know? Tad off topic I suppose.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Miles To Empty

Is it just disabled somehow on mine? Not on the FEH '06? Anyone know? Tad off topic I suppose.
Just had the "turn signal on" warning appear on mine last week. First time ever ...after 18 months of ownership, and I didn't even know it was a feature. [ now back to your reqularly scheduled post ]

Old 08-01-2007, 07:47 AM

You'd probably lose that bet...

Keep in mind that some people actually use the DTE/MTE to decide/plan when to refuel. That's why the calculation involves "recent" driving style/type history.

Given the risk factor, (PO'ed customers running out of gas) I can't image a hybrid that doesn't take into account the hybrid battery condition and recent recharge rate average.

Also keep in mind that this particular "brand" of customer, hydrid buyer, is more likely to pay close attention to this matter and "push" the MPG "envelope".

Last edited by wwest; 08-01-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Miles To Empty

Okay folks, but when it comes down to it, the car does NOT have to monitor battery pack performance or SOC to get an accurate MTE.

Think about it. Now think about it again.

When you fill up at the pump, and you do a mental calculation, you do:
Miles divided by Gallons. Period. Do you calculate how many miles you ran off of the battery?!?!?! NO! It does not matter!

The battery use, and it's contribution to MPG is inherent in every calculation you, or the trip computer does.

34 MPG with extensive battery use in the city will equal the exact same MTE
as 34 MPG over the highway with your battery not used at all.

Think about it. This is only logical. But good idea to think about!
-John

Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Okay folks, but when it comes down to it, the car does NOT have to monitor battery pack performance or SOC to get an accurate MTE.

Miles divided by Gallons. Period. Do you calculate how many miles you ran off of the battery?!?!?! NO! It does not matter!

The battery use, and it's contribution to MPG is inherent in every calculation you, or the trip computer does.

-John
I'm sure thats exactly what it does... to keep people from being PO'ed they underestimate the MTE to ensure you have more than 50 miles or a gallon or so left after it reads 0. If you keep driving after it reads zero and run out... IYODF (its your own D*** fault) will be the defense.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1

-John
I thought we had covered this "ground" back a few years ago, but then that may have been on a Prius thread somewhere.

"the car does NOT have to monitor battery pack performance or SOC to get an accurate MTE."

A TRUER statement: "the car does NOT monitor battery pack performance or SOC to get an approximate....MPG."

If you want an ACCURATE MPG (note, MPG, NOT MTE!) you must account for the SOC as it relates to be distance travelled. If before the "trip" you just finished, the SOC was ZIP and the trip do not involve very much opportunity for regenerative braking and the fill-up is done with a FULL CHARGE then you MPG calculation will be off by the amount of fuel you used to bring the SOC from ZIP to FULL.

You BURNED that fuel but it is yet to be USED.

And yes, the on board computer can still correctly compute an accurate MPG result provided it has a stored (factory default) or "learned" (they do that these days) parameter relating to the SOC level being equal to so many miles of travel.

Maybe insignificant %, but...

On the other hand if I'm traveling a significant distance I would want the MTE (MTE now) calculation to be as accurate as is possible to avoid un-necessary fuel stops or even for planning my fuel stops.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

ok, even more basic;

The mte does not drop 1 mile for every mile travelled. period.
Sometimes it drops less than 1 mile for every mile travelled, sometimes it drops MORE than 1 mile for every mile travelled. It is directly related to mpg average, I just have no clue how!!!

trav·eled or trav·elled (trāv'əld) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Having made journeys; experienced in travel.
Frequented by travelers: a heavily traveled road.

08FEH

Quick Reply: Miles To Empty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands