media help (I'm being interviewed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Happy Owner
Default media help (I'm being interviewed)

I was going to put this under Media, but decided to post it here for FEH owners to comment on first...

A local TV station in Portland Maine has recently bought a FEH and is now doing a weekly piece on their "new baby". I wrote the station and told them about mine and today they contacted me to do an interview. If you were the person being interviewed, what one or two pieces of info would you try to get across to the general public about a) the FEH +/or b) hybrids. I know what I like and dislike about my FEH, and have read many of the various thread posted here at GreenHybrid so I think I have a good feel for how happy we are.

Looks like I'll be talking with them on Wed. the 5th of October, so if you can reply before then, it would be appreciated. No guarantee that what you all say is what I end up saying, but if there's one consistent theme that comes forth, I'll go with it.

(Interview postponed a week so you've got until the 16th to comment)

Thanks much, J of

Last edited by Gas Pirates; 10-07-2005 at 04:57 AM. Reason: date changed
Old 10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Default Re: media help (I'm being interviewed)

Tell them that driving a hybrid is analogis to driving a dragster. The car has a lot of potential, but no matter how good the car it is the driver that makes it stand out.

One caution about the media. Don't be suprised if they take things out of context, mis quote you, or manipulate your words. It happens to lots of people that are interviewed. How your interview gets aired will depend on the agenda of the story.

Try to stay on point that getting the stated FE numbers requires driver practice and an effort to learn how the car works under various condition. Tell them that many people that first get a hybrid often don't drive optimaly and usualy get lower numbers than after a few months with the car. Point them to the database here if they want to research how people progress.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Tell them that driving a hybrid is analogis to driving a dragster.
God, no.... don't say that! The lead of the piece will be "Hybrid user says to drive real fast!" Cut to J saying "driving a hybrid is just like driving a dragster!" Next shot, the station's FEH tearing down the Maine Turnpike doing 75....

Since I sorta work in the media, my advice would be to keep your comments brief and to the point. If the piece ends up being 90 seconds to 2 minutes (which would be LONG in a local news show) and you give 5 answers that are minute long each, guess what's going to happen??? In any case, the editor WILL cut up your comments to fit. I've had to do it myself, hopefully without changing any meaning or intent.

For everyone that complains about tv news stories... I'd be happy to plop a half hour of interviews, cover shots, and reporter stand-ups which you haven't seen before at your editing station, and oh, by the way, I need it cut to 1:45 and in the control room in 2 hours, OK? Not defending any skewing of information, just pointing out that sometimes it gets rushed.

Yes, I would try to determine what the angle of the piece would be. Since they have bought one, hopefully they would be more sympathetic to your advice on how to extend their MPGs, if that's what they got it for. Don't say anything in jest that you might regret seeing on air.

I agree with Tom about getting across that driving a Hybrid for economy is definitely a learning experience! Someone who's driven an automatic for 10 years will have to make an adjustment. I think driving a stick since '81 is helping me with the transition.

As much as it pains me to say it, think in sound bites!! The shorter, more concise and to the point your comments are, the more likely they will make it intact.

Good Luck!!
Fred

Old 10-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: media help (I'm being interviewed)

Originally Posted by Gas Pirates
I was going to put this under Media, but decided to post it here for FEH owners to comment on first...

A local TV station in Portland Maine has recently bought a FEH and is now doing a weekly piece on their "new baby". I wrote the station and told them about mine and today they contacted me to do an interview. If you were the person being interviewed, what one or two pieces of info would you try to get across to the general public about a) the FEH +/or b) hybrids. I know what I like and dislike about my FEH, and have read many of the various thread posted here at GreenHybrid so I think I have a good feel for how happy we are.

Looks like I'll be talking with them on Wed. the 5th of October, so if you can reply before then, it would be appreciated. No guarantee that what you all say is what I end up saying, but if there's one consistent theme that comes forth, I'll go with it.

Thanks much, J of
Be nice. Keep it short. Show 'em your passion for your piece of Missouri-built steel.
If you've got a punchy phrase about your FEH, use it. Used to work for a media company owned by a light bulb manufacturer. If I were conducting the interview, that's what I would seek.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would say to try to stay on target comparing oranges to oranges. Do not compare this hybrid to the Insight (less space and weight but great mileage) or the Prius (great 3-4 passenger intown carrier but poor substitute for back-country and utility carrying) or the Lexus or Highlander (great power and expensive luxury but poor mileage).

This is the only U.S. built product that delivers what we need now at a decent premium and Ford has promised this is just the start.

I endorse the FEH after 25,000 miles and look forward to Ford building on this and also all the also-ran and too-late hybrid vehicle producers to follow.

I also look forward to a PHEV FEH in the next year and Ford entering into agreements to make the future 100 MPG PHEV part of their dealer offerings as they have in the past with the Shelby Cobra Mustang and the Saleen Mustang.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

In addition to the above, you may want to give a bite or two addressing some of the misinformation out there: You don't plug it in, you're not underpowered, you save money, and the batteries aren't toxic.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Happy Owner

Thanks all for the comments. Interview is at 4 on Wed. If they post it or any portion of the story on the web, I'll be sure to add it to GreenHybrid's site. I won't have access to the internet after 8am on Wed so if there are any other comments for me to consider, get them in now.

Good thing we just got our hypermiler star the other day. The reporter's email said "I am interested in getting some drivers' perspectives on the cars, especially when it comes to fuel economy."
J of

Old 10-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned
Default Try This Sound-Bite

"The hybrid (any vehicle) is only as good as it's driver"

Old 10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Try This Sound-Bite

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
"The hybrid (any vehicle) is only as good as it's driver"
Oooooh... I like that one!

Fred

Old 10-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Happy Owner

The interview's been delayed a full week - we got "fogged out" yesterday and now the reporter's away on vacation. The good news is this gives all of you more time to get suggestions of good "sound bites" on the FEH to me. Post your suggestions before the 16th so I can prep for the rescheduled interview (reporter and news director are contacts of mine from a previous job so I believe them when they say they still want to do this story line on their station's FEH).

J of

Quick Reply: media help (I'm being interviewed)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands