MECs and Aux Cooling Pump out at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy MECs and Aux Cooling Pump out at the same time

About 3000 kms ago, my 2008 FEH blew a fuse and went into Stop Safely Now mode so I got a new MECS pump. It worked well for a few weeks and then last night in the cold it did the SSN shutdown again on the hiway. It's got the inverter over heating code (P1A0D I believe) which is the same as it had last time. When I was pulled over I checked the MECS pump and it wasn't working. After restarting and getting home the slow way (it doesn't SSN if I go less than about 55mph) I noticed that the heat was going cold almost as soon as EV mode kicked in also. And the electric radiator fans were going full blast even though it was below freezing outside and I had only stopped twice for two lights.

It's got the right amount of coolant in both the reservoirs. I've replaced fuse 27 and 14 in the power distribution center under the hood. Neither of them looked broken, but I replaced them with new ones anyways. I drove it on the hiway again today and I'm still getting the SSN shutdown. Using my code readers live data mode I watched the engine temperature and the electric fans shut off after the engine temperature is down under about 170 fahrenheit. The ICE kicks on and heats it back up after its down past like 158. So it doesn't look like an engine coolant temperature sensor issue.

What else do I have to check? And is it just a co-incidence that both pumps went out at the same time? I should also include that the previous owner has some interesting made up wiring going to the AC and into the power distribution center held under a fuse (not one of the fuses in question, though). The AC doesn't work, and it's throwing an AC trouble code. My plan was to fix it in the spring. About 10 minutes before my problems started I was playing around with ECON mode and the AC button to see what would keep the ICE from shutting down if I wanted it to stay on. Having the AC button activated doesn't keep the ICE running even though it should. I assumed it was due to the under hood debauchery.

Last edited by german_cargo; 10-27-2019 at 06:07 PM.