Mariner Hybrid Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Mariner Hybrid Test Drive

I know Mariner Hybrids basically don't exist in dealer lots, but how about for test drives? I just started looking into this vehicle a month or so ago, and this may be a dumb question, but if a dealer doesn't have the vehicle in stock, what does a person test drive prior to ordering? Any insight on personal purchase experience appreciated.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mariner Hybrid Test Drive

I do recommend a test drive. If you're looking to get a feel for the drive train you can also look for Ford Escape Hybrids as they should have identical ride/performance characteristics.

Those with MMH can give you more information about the interior.

In any case, if you live in the East, and not near a major city, good luck finding either for a test drive.

You can also do a search at http://www.autotrader.com/

Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kelsee88
I know Mariner Hybrids basically don't exist in dealer lots, but how about for test drives? I just started looking into this vehicle a month or so ago, and this may be a dumb question, but if a dealer doesn't have the vehicle in stock, what does a person test drive prior to ordering? Any insight on personal purchase experience appreciated.
There might be someone who owns one that post here that may be close enough to you and willing to let you test drive theirs. I had the same problem back before you could order one in '04. I test drove the standard V6 '05 Escape and took a chance and ordered the '05 FEH. I've have been happy ever since.

GaryG

Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
There might be someone who owns one that post here that may be close enough to you and willing to let you test drive theirs. I had the same problem back before you could order one in '04. I test drove the standard V6 '05 Escape and took a chance and ordered the '05 FEH. I've have been happy ever since.

GaryG
Same here. I tested a non-hybrid MMH. My major concern was head and leg room, being 6'5" and 230lbs. I had more head room in the MMH than I do in my Subaru Tribeca, with leg room close to being the same.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Test drives in this car ( when new ) really suck anyhow.
I almost didn't buy one because of the test drive.

Usually on a test drive ( with a car with only a couple dozen miles ):

1) you start with a cold, or even room temperature engine. Hybrids don't really become "hybrids" until the engine and other parts are "hot". So for the first 10 minutes, the car will behave mostly like a V6 regular car. And most first impressions are made in less than 10 minutes.

2) the mechanical parts are not "broken in" yet. Thus, they perform poorly, MPG wise, the first 1000 to 3000 miles.

3) the battery is not "conditioned" for best performance yet. In fact, on two of my 3 test drives before buying, I could only have EV when standing still. The moment I touched the gas, the engine came back on.

4) all the computers and sensors ( and there's a lot of them! ) have not adjusted or "normalized" many of the car's parameters for best performance yet.

SO.... during any hybrid test drive, do the cliche' things. Check the features and options on the car ( glove box, sound system, space, and comfort ) things you can do in a regular version of the car. The hybrid part will not meet your expectations on a car with fewer than 1000 miles, and especially if you do a test drive in cold weather.

Take all the posts from sites like this to heart, if you really want to know about the "hybridness". You won't be able to get that in a test drive, so it doesn't matter that much if you can't find one. -J

Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
08 MMH 4WD

Guess I got lucky as the dealer I ordered my MMH through had a factory demo they were using for test drives. (Summer 2007)

Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM

I agree with gpsman. Our test drive was on a cold day and it didn't go into EV at all when I was driving it. My wife got it to creep along a little bit but we hardly got a flavor of the hybridness from the test drive. We were already pretty sold on the hybrid though and were really only test driving for ergonomic reasons (which you could find out with a V6).

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Funny, I was already sold on the hybridness before I drove the car (thanks all you '05-'07 owners). I was more interested in the V6 like performance and really stuck it to the test drive model. The pickup was way more than I expected and the ride/handling was great.

The wife and I were SOLD!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM

My first test drive of an Escape Hybrid was almost one year ago--third Saturday in Jan. 07. It was a 10 degree day with snow covering the vehicle. The dealership and salestaff attempted several times to get me to test drive a non-hybrid Escape or the new
Edge instead. I refused as it was the only 2007 Hybrid within 50+ plus miles. When I got in the vehicle, the salestaff-not me--got behind the wheel and we drove very slowly for a few minutes around the dealerships two (Ford and Chylser) lots. Then I got in and was allow to drive for a few miles. It was an unusual experience with the CVT and extra noises that I assumed were from the cold and from sitting on the lot. Gasoline was only $2.18 a gallon at this time and the hybrids were not yet "hot". I eventually refused to order one and decided to investigate further about this vehicle via this website. Less than six months later, I found my Escape Hybrid and feel fortunate to have obtained one directly off the dealers lot.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

When I got my 2006 MMH, the dealer went two-hundred plus miles away to find the one I wanted. I got the options I wanted, the color I wanted, and I got it a 0% for 4 years at the x-plan price. I really lucked out.

It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. It will go through really deep snow without a problem. I love it!

It's too bad they can't ramp up production of the hybrids. They are excellent cars.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Mariner Hybrid Test Drive

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands