Mariner Hitch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mariner Hitch??

I need a hitch for my Mariner for a bike rack. I see that Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, etc. all list a hitch for the FEH but not the MMH. I called etrailer and the customer service rep said until it's tested on a MMH they won't list it. Something about maybe a panel might be different. Has anyone installed a hitch on a MMH?

Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 AM
PML
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mariner Hitch??

Let me know if you do get a hitch installed - I want to pull a motorcycle trailer - Harley - have not taken ownership of my Mariner yet - but will in June -

PHIL

Old 04-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

I bought a hitch from eBay last week. It came in yesterday. . . took half an hour to install on my MMH. Works perfectly. As soon as my wiring harness comes in, I'm ready to go. The hitch was made by Curt Mfg. , part number 12568 for less than $150 delivered to my door. Try this eBay #. (Item number: 8056652357). I've installed lots of hitches in my life and this was one of the best designed. The only issue is that the The exhaust is mounted on a rubber hanger designed to let is swing from side to side, and when I hit a bump, it makes a noise when it hits the side of the hitch bracket. Won't hurt anything, but it's annoying. I'll find a fix shortly.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 AM
PML
Enthusiast

Thanks Travis - my brother is very mechanical - when I get delivery of my Mariner, I will order the hitch from Curt. Mfg. -

Thanks for the reply

PHIL

Old 04-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

When you get the package, there's going to be a small coil of fine steel wire with a little curly Q end on it. DO NOT DISCARD THIS. You cannot install the hitch without it, and the instructions aren't all that good. Call me with any questions. 503-889-8631.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
ltc
Enthusiast

I was under the impression that you are not supposed to tow with a FEH?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:19 PM
PML
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ltc
I was under the impression that you are not supposed to tow with a FEH?
The Ford Escape Hybrid, I THINK can be ordered with a Trailer hitch - so - go figure, dont know why the Mariner does not offer it -

PHIL

Old 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, this was one of the reasons I purchased the MMH over a "car" type of hybrid. Increased interior cargo capacity and the ability to tow. My research revealed that the MMH was rated to tow 1000#. Nothing like my Dodge dually, but clearly enough to tow a small fishing boat to a nearby lake.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:31 PM
PML
Enthusiast

Yes, Travis, I agree - and the Mariner has it all over the Escape as far as looks - the Escape looks like a Utility truck - however, the Mariner Hybrid looks dressed up - sophisticated - for me - it was ONLY the Mariner - would not consider the Escape at all ! I get my Mariner Hybrid sometime in Early June - now have a 02 Mercury Mountaineer - going fro 15 to 30 miles per gallon is going to be a joy - considering what gas prices are right now - and as far as re-sale value, well - if gas continues this climb - the Hybrids will bring a welcome bonus - it sure wont be like the Mountanieer where it went from 36,000 to 12,000 in 3.5 years.

Think I will be stopping for gas a lot less ! HOPE SO !

PHIL

Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Travis
The only issue is that the The exhaust is mounted on a rubber hanger designed to let is swing from side to side, and when I hit a bump, it makes a noise when it hits the side of the hitch bracket. Won't hurt anything, but it's annoying. I'll find a fix shortly.
When you fix that, let me know what you did. Mine does exactly the same thing.

I had my hitch installed, and one thing to note is that with some hitches you won't be able to have a full size spare.

The noise is more bothersome than the donut.

Quick Reply: Mariner Hitch??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands