Many Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Many Q's...

OK...here we go...
I'm DEF buying a FEH soon.
I tried to buy one Thursday and Friday from 2 diff dealers out here (buerge & Sunrise..both in LA) and had the WORST experience, I just walked out.
Should I wait until 2010's are released?
I'd rather not, but if it's only a month or so, I can hold out.
Is there any major diff aside from park assist addition?
I live in LA now but may be moving to NC...should I get the AWD?
Is it worth it considering reduced FE?
Does AWD tend to require more repairs, sooner than 2WD?
(Follow up) Can I "turn off" AWD on the AWD and make it just a 2WD sometimes?
Important Q:
Can I add aftermarket (genuine Ford) NAV, Audiophile pkg, moonroof, extended warranty, lojack, etc. in the future or is it not reccomended by you guys?
I'd ideally like to get the 2010 AWD, black, non limited (I dont like the chrome color grill....otherwise I like the limited's options), with a moonroof and NAV, Lojack and a 7 yr 75k warranty but this seems to be a tall order (i.e. I'll be waiting for at least 3 months to get it)...alternatively, the 2009's are tough to find and the only '09 AWD in black I can get out here comes with no NAV package, stock stereo, etc....
I'm tempted to just buy it and switch in the NAV, add lojack, possibly a moonroof, extend the warranty, etc. all later just so I can get the thing tomorrow.
Thoughts anyone on any of these questions?
Thanks alot

Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Many Q's...

I found my '07 using the dealer inventory search tool on the Ford website. I wanted an AWD model with no other options, and that was hard to find in the LA area. I kept increasing the search radius and found just what I wanted in Redlands. We negotiated via email and telephone, I got a great price, and they drove it to my house the following day.

This maybe a bad time to be buying an FEH because of the Cash for Clunkers program going on right now. I've heard reports that Escapes are in short supply, which means the dealers won't deal on the price. I'd probably wait awhile if that's an option for you.

Last edited by econoline; 08-15-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I also found mine online, had to go outta state as not 1 dealer in OK had one left, and no one was trading them at the time, gas was just starting to rise. But I too negotiated via email, drove my trade in, drove out in like less than 2hrs, after writting a personal check on a saturday for nearly the whole ammount (we used our credit card for like $5k to get airline miles)

Any to some of your questions:
09 vs 10, that's always a tought one, the next year always has something different/better. I think I heard the EV is going up to 44, different battery cells, not sure what else is changing.

I've heard/read, no personal exp., that adding the factory Nav & system is not so much plug and play, esp when the wheel controls get involved.
I only considered AWD for like 30seconds, I live in OK, and 4WD/AWD's are all over the place, it does snow and ice here a few times a year, but no major accumliations of snow in many years, only a few inches, and ice, well doesn't matter ice is ice at any depth, 1/2" or 3"! and yeah AWD will help get you started (but FWD is fine too) neiter will help you stop! So considering the all year mpg hit for a possible 5day a yr usage, I opted for FWD only. There is no on/off switch, it's automaticly routed to the wheels needing the assist. (Another reason I opted against it), I suppose you could drop the rear drive shaft, and install as needed, but that's too much work for me!
As far as modding after, If the only thing about the limited is the chrome grill, it'd be much easier, faster & cheaper to just have the grill replaced/painted than to add all the interior options!
Again no personal exp, but adding a moonroof I've always heard the horror stories of after markets leak.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bobbylaw
OK...here we go...
I tried to buy one Thursday and Friday from 2 diff dealers out here (buerge & Sunrise..both in LA) and had the WORST experience, I just walked out.
Important Q:
Can I add aftermarket (genuine Ford) NAV, Audiophile pkg, moonroof, extended warranty, lojack, etc. in the future or is it not reccomended by you guys?
I'd ideally like to get the 2010 AWD, black, non limited (I dont like the chrome color grill....otherwise I like the limited's options), with a moonroof and NAV, Lojack and a 7 yr 75k warranty but this seems to be a tall order (i.e. I'll be waiting for at least 3 months to get it)...alternatively, the 2009's are tough to find and the only '09 AWD in black I can get out here comes with no NAV package, stock stereo, etc....
I'm tempted to just buy it and switch in the NAV, add lojack, possibly a moonroof, extend the warranty, etc. all later just so I can get the thing tomorrow.
Thoughts anyone on any of these questions?
Thanks alot
If you are anywhere within range, Galpin Ford in North Hills (off the Roscoe exit on the 405 North) generally has the largest selection for all Ford models. I got my 2008 there about 15 months ago and they had about 40 of them. Call first, of course.

I got the AWD, and for the Pre-2009 models I think it is better because I like the stiffer suspension. There was no stability control before 2009, and to my mind the FWD simply leaned too much in a turn.

You cannot control the AWD, it is computer controlled, and automatically switches in the rear wheels. From what we can tell, it kicks in all the time, not just in slippery conditions.

I would not attempt to add the NAV, but adding extended warranties and lojack is no problem.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks SO much to all...
just wanted to drop a quick reply...looks like I'm getting the black, '09, AWD, NON-LIMITED (bec. I dont like the chrome grill, dont need/want/care much about the lthr/ambient lights/moonroof... and its tough to find a black limited AWD one), with step bars and roof rack as only add on's plus a 6 yr/75k bumper to bumper warranty...I'm allegedly getting it for 36k cash out the door...
I'll use my 150$ garmin rather than the nav (which was the only add-on I REALLY wanted) and I'll live w/out the leather. moonroof, etc
36k OTD sound decent?
Thanks so much to all...glad to be joining the club...love this (civil, informative, pleasant) site and I'll keep u posted...I'm not hi fiving until the deal is done

Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

update...theyre not budging under 36,500
p.s. this cash for clunkers has really decimated inventory...not a sales pitch...real dearth of options out there

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast

Latest update...I'm leaning towards waiting for the 2010 (maybe even pre-ordering one).
For an extra few K, I may as well get EXACTLY what I want and the inventory choices these days seems light (late in the model year/cash for clunkers/etc)...p.s. Ford stock has had a huge run but in my opinion..the coming q #'s may take the stock even higher...back into the double digits...as these hybrids are really flying off the lot thanks to the gen public (like me) finally catching on/clunkers/etc ...JMO
will keep u posted and thanks again to all

Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Latest update...I'm leaning towards waiting for the 2010 (maybe even pre-ordering one).
For an extra few K, I may as well get EXACTLY what I want and the inventory choices these days seems light (late in the model year/cash for clunkers/etc)...p.s. Ford stock has had a huge run but in my opinion..the coming q #'s may take the stock even higher...back into the double digits...as these hybrids are really flying off the lot thanks to the gen public (like me) finally catching on/clunkers/etc ...JMO
will keep u posted and thanks again to all
I think you are coming to the right conclusion. I was in a similar situation to you (wanted an AWD in SoCal), and ended up finding a fleet salesperson that was able to find and trade for what I wanted for an awesome price.
A fleet salesperson will also be happy to place an order for you, where a retail salesperson will not want to wait 6-8 weeks to make a deal. A 2010 model will always have better resale value than an '09 too!
Apparently, Ford is ramping up Escape production now, and the cash for clunkers program will run out of money eventually. I suspect by the end of the year there will be a lot of Escapes on lots looking for buyers.
Keep in mind a portable Garmin will work just as well as a Ford nav system and is much cheaper to keep updated with current map data (such as their ~$100 lifetime map download that you can do 4x per year).
The AWD works great, there are no additional maintenance concerns with it. It does cost some mpg though.
Galpin (recommended earlier), can handle all kinds of customizing with the interior (since they are the home of "Pimp My Ride") if that's what you're in to.

Last edited by D-mac; 08-16-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
I think you are coming to the right conclusion. I was in a similar situation to you (wanted an AWD in SoCal), and ended up finding a fleet salesperson that was able to find and trade for what I wanted for an awesome price.
A fleet salesperson will also be happy to place an order for you, where a retail salesperson will not want to wait 6-8 weeks to make a deal. A 2010 model will always have better resale value than an '09 too!
Apparently, Ford is ramping up Escape production now, and the cash for clunkers program will run out of money eventually. I suspect by the end of the year there will be a lot of Escapes on lots looking for buyers.
Keep in mind a portable Garmin will work just as well as a Ford nav system and is much cheaper to keep updated with current map data (such as their ~$100 lifetime map download that you can do 4x per year).
The AWD works great, there are no additional maintenance concerns with it. It does cost some mpg though.
Galpin (recommended earlier), can handle all kinds of customizing with the interior (since they are the home of "Pimp My Ride") if that's what you're in to.
Unless they can ramp up battery production, and I haven't read of any such changes, they are limited in how many and how fast they can produce the FEH. I doubt they can up their rates appreciably.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

OK...here we go...
Well, that's not that unusual. I actually had to go to a second dealer to get mine due to the poor service of the first.

I apologize for the late reply, I've been out of town, but I'll answer all the questions anyway.

Should I wait until 2010's are released?
Yes. I recently got a test drive of an '10, and it's a completely different beast. It's completely new programming taking pages from the Fusion Hybrid, a whole new battery pack, and several changes, like an integrated cooling system and cabin filtration system. Personally some of the interior changes I prefer over the '09.

Prior models have a seperate system, which includes a telltale vent in the drivers side back window, which the '10 doesn't have due to the new systems.

Is there any major diff aside from park assist addition?
Yes. As mentioned, it's pretty much a whole new animal. New engine, new programming, new battery (smaller and more powerful then any current version), pretty much a whole new generation of FEH.

AWD is always going to be up to you, the consumer. If you're not going to be in a situation where you don't need AWD, why get it?

I got AWD, and I'm glad I did, especially last winter (I had a ridiculously large grin when I passed a Prius that was stuck in the snow). However, if I lived in other climates I probably wouldn't. Additionally, while it gets used and I'm glad I have it, on the other hand, proportionately even I only use it a few times a year and probably could've gotten away with having 2WD.

No, but it's default is 2WD. It checks 200 times per second to decide when and how much AWD you need. With a Scanguage and the X-guages, there are ways to see when it actually engages.

Important Q:
Most of it, if not all, you can, though the newer models may have some specifics that I'm not aware of that cause a conflict.

Personally I just got the keypad added.

Regardless, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Many Q's...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands