Major Brake Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Major Brake Malfunction!

Thanks for the detailed info, Steve! That's really helpful to me. And it looks like you may be right on #1 - they have ordered an "ABS Control Unit" (I assume this is shorthand for the ABS C.U./Hydraulic C.U. pair you mentioned), and it should arrive tomorrow or the next day. So we'll see how that works.

[beginning of rant] WHY would anyone buy a Taurus? I keep asking myself... (this is *rhetorical*, please!) What a lame vehicle. It's not sporty, it's not particularly luxurious, it's not super economical, it can't haul a *lot* of people or cargo, it just has basically ZERO going for it. All I can figure is it's a perfect "old people's car" - the controls are SIMPLE to figure out and the seats are pretty comfortable (except you really feel like your butt is practically ON the road...). That, and fleet sales - selling cars to people who DON'T have to drive them. My sister speculates that they have to give you a really lame vehicle as a "loaner" so you will be so happy to have your own back, it will dull the "pain" of having had it break down (like hitting yourself on the hand to forget about a headache, sort of), but this is ridiculous. [end of rant]
OK, before I get flamed, I am glad to have transportation, I guess.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
[beginning of rant] WHY would anyone buy a Taurus? I keep asking myself... (this is *rhetorical*, please!) What a lame vehicle. It's not sporty, it's not particularly luxurious, it's not super economical, it can't haul a *lot* of people or cargo, it just has basically ZERO going for it. All I can figure is it's a perfect "old people's car" - the controls are SIMPLE to figure out and the seats are pretty comfortable (except you really feel like your butt is practically ON the road...). That, and fleet sales - selling cars to people who DON'T have to drive them. My sister speculates that they have to give you a really lame vehicle as a "loaner" so you will be so happy to have your own back, it will dull the "pain" of having had it break down (like hitting yourself on the hand to forget about a headache, sort of), but this is ridiculous. [end of rant]
Thus, the Fusion. It will replace the Taurus, and will be the next Ford hybrid!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

fleet sales - selling cars to people who DON'T have to drive them.

OK, before I get flamed, I am glad to have transportation, I guess.
1. I have never heard a better explanation for the Taurus. My company buys them by the truckload and you're right, they suck except as company vehicles (i.e. I don't want to take my car to some places I HAVE to go).

2. I doubt you will get flamed for that - this is a hybrid site, not the Ford Enthusiast site. I am a Ford man but still think the Taurus' bite.

3. A crappy loaner will definitely make you appreciate your own vehicle. Although my recent experience with a rented Yukon made me remember how much I like big, comfy vehicles. Could have done without the 17 mpg though.

Hope you get yours back soon.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Green Missionary

I had a Taurus loaner twice, once in 1989 when I had "due bill" work done on my new Ranger and once in 2005 when I had a blemish in the finish of my '06 FEH touched up.

I was negatively impressed both times. I'm 6'4" and 200+ and I felt trapped inside the %^)&*( thing. Like an El Dorado I once rode in (unhappily), there is room but it is in all the wrong places. Where room should be are things jutting out at you - to catch knees and elbows if they can. I almost felt physically attacked.

After those rides, I would have been happy to get any car back, even if it were a twenty-year-old Yugo!

Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM

WHY would anyone buy a Taurus? I keep asking myself... (this is *rhetorical*, please!)
ahh, but it does a decent job of getting from point A to B in relative comfort, no bells or whistles.
= WORKHORSE. Everyone needs one in their stable.

Oh- its available as an FFV- major plus!

no flaming here, just propping it up a bit.

Hope your baby is back soon, brakes and all!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Am now (as of 8:45 this morning) told the part (ABS Control Unit) is on backorder, and won't be shipped until 12/8! "It's so new, you know..."

Informal poll - is it time to b**ch a little (and if so, who should I contact)? Or should I just be mellow and wait?

Also, does anyone think that the backorder status may be an indication that this problem has happened to some other FEHs? ???

Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM

Am now (as of 8:45 this morning) told the part (ABS Control Unit) is on backorder, and won't be shipped until 12/8! "It's so new, you know..."

Informal poll - is it time to b**ch a little (and if so, who should I contact)? Or should I just be mellow and wait?

Also, does anyone think that the backorder status may be an indication that this problem has happened to some other FEHs? ???
Definitely time to b*tch - a lot and to the highest person in the company as you can.

So, as you mentioned before, without your buying the ESP, you would not have got a loaner from Ford yet they can't get the parts for your car for two weeks from the time you brought your car in? That is B.S. I bought the ESP but I would think they would provide a loaner when these break. After all, they are so new and all.

As for the availabiilty of parts, my guess is that they already have a tight supply chain for parts for these things just to get them off the assembly line. They probably aren't factoring in failure of in-service units for non-maintenance parts.

I haven't heard of anyone else losing the ABS module so maybe yours is a fluke......let's hope so.

Good luck.

Ray

Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by nitramjr
As for the availabiilty of parts, my guess is that they already have a tight supply chain for parts for these things just to get them off the assembly line. They probably aren't factoring in failure of in-service units for non-maintenance parts.

I haven't heard of anyone else losing the ABS module so maybe yours is a fluke......let's hope so.

Good luck.

Ray

I concur, and it wouldn't be surprising either. Just like the underestimation on the demand for O-Ring parts for oil changes, lots of hybrid components just haven't trickled down to become available for use as replacement parts, most parts being manufactured are still going to new FEH production rather than parts for older ones.

However, given that, it may be a question of whether complaining will help. It probably won't get the part there any faster, and it's not like they can fix it without the part, but that's probably more your perogative as well.

With the ESP (Which I also got), and the situation being caused by events on their side not yours, you would think they'd handle the loaner care differently.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

However, given that, it may be a question of whether complaining will help. It probably won't get the part there any faster, and it's not like they can fix it without the part, but that's probably more your perogative as well.
I would say that it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you expect it to get the part there sooner, my guess is that it won't work. If the goal is to tell Ford that there is an area of service they have neglected and it will likely affect both their image and their sales, go for it!

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Just like the underestimation on the demand for O-Ring parts for oil changes...
You mean the o-ring that the book says to replace every time you do an oil change and that the FORD parts counter guy looks at you like you have three heads when you ask for it and that he then has to order for you?

I'm guessing we all know what happens when you bring your FEH in for an oil change.....

Meanwhile, back on topic......

Quick Reply: Major Brake Malfunction!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands