This made me laugh....presidential candidates fuel efficiency....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default This made me laugh....presidential candidates fuel efficiency....

Just watching CNN 2 minutes ago...they had a piece on "green collar jobs" and how the candidates were pushing for new jobs and they should be "green jobs" etc etc...then they compared the top candidates cars....I most had 16-18mpg...a Tahoe, mustang convertible, caddy etc....Obama and Edwards were second best with a 22mpg Ford Escape Hybrid...Clinton took first with a 29mpg....Mercury Mariner Hybrid That made me laugh a bit.....

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: This made me laugh....presidential candidates fuel efficiency....

What do you mean 22 MPG Escape Hybrid? That must be a typo.

I can't get mine below 25 MPG ever.... even if I try by running it in park every day for 10 minutes to melt the ice! ( I don't do that too often... )

Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slick
Just watching CNN 2 minutes ago...they had a piece on "green collar jobs" and how the candidates were pushing for new jobs and they should be "green jobs" etc etc...then they compared the top candidates cars....I most had 16-18mpg...a Tahoe, mustang convertible, caddy etc....Obama and Edwards were second best with a 22mpg Ford Escape Hybrid...Clinton took first with a 29mpg....Mercury Mariner Hybrid That made me laugh a bit.....
Obama use to drive a Chyrsler 300 with the hemi engine in 2007. He was blasting the American auto industry for not delievering improved fuel economy. Bill Ford got a whiff of this (May 2007) and blasted back at Obama stating something like "why don't you dump that Chrysler gas hog of yours for the Escape Hybrid". Obama did just that in the summer of 2007. John Edwards and Al Gore did the same thing. You don't suspose these individuals had to wait 4-5 months for their hybrid do you?

As for the posted fuel mpg figures.
- Maybe these candidates don't drive the vehicles? (Gee can you remember John Edwards stating last summer "If I become President I will ask the American Public to give up their SUV's". Why would an Escape Hybrid owner say that?)
-Maybe they don't know how to drive these vehicles to obtain excellent mpg?
-Maybe the figures are "fudged" somewhat. I remember reading in the past (2006?) about the Clinton's ordering the Mariner and reading about additional "detailing" the vehicles required via governmental protection requirements.

Style not substance?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think there was much thought or fact checking going into the whole segment...I just thought it was funny they ranked two people driving and Escape hybrid lower than another driving a Mariner hybrid....ya know...because they are the same truck

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Think green.

Poor Christopher Dodd...he's out of the race.
But...he drives a Prius!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Maybe there was an error on the "Clinton MMH" where they forgot to add all the extra protection but Edwards & Obama did get theirs?

Maybe the reporter is Hillary biased?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just remember that these candidates are all very rich and most have many cars. They may have a Mustang GT and a hybrid and not drive either of them. These FEHs they buy are mainly for PR value. I've seen a number of photos of John Edwards 20,000+ square foot house with it multi car garage and there always seem to be a number of full size SUVs sitting around.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...itroom.03.html

Gerri Willis reporting.

While candidates might be supporting "green collar jobs" to help the economy and the environment, the cars they drive perhaps tell a different story.

On the Republican side, Mike Huckabee is the least fuel- efficient, with his flex fuel Chevy Tahoe, which averages about 16 millions per gallon. Mitt Romney and John McCain are only slightly better, with a Ford Mustang convertible and a Cadillac Sedan, respectively.

The Democrats' car choices are more eco-friendly, as they say -- as they like to say. Barack Obama and John Edwards both drive Ford Escape hybrids, which get about 22 miles per gallon. Hillary Clinton is the most fuel-efficient of all. Her Mercury Mariner hybrid gets 29 miles per gallon.

Let's go to Jack Cafferty.

He's got The Cafferty File. -- Jack.

CAFFERTY: I wonder when the last time she drove it was?

BLITZER: Probably a long time ago.

CAFFERTY: That would be my guess.

BLITZER: But she owns it. She owns it.
For those that didnt see it, like me

Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Edwards and Obama are better HYPOmilers than Hillary... LOL.

And they wonder why some people don't trust the news.