Lund Cold Front ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Lund Cold Front ?

Has anybody used the Lund cold front, or any other brand for that matter on the FEH. Where I live the temperatures have been getting to -15f and I was just thinking that a cold front might just help the mileage. Since the cold temperatures have dropped my mileage to 20mpg, from a high of 35mpg during warmer temperatures. I do let it warm up for at least 10 minutes before I take off on those cold days. Tired of getting into a cold vehicle. So I know that is killing my mileage. But a cold front might help the ICE turn off on those cold days. As it is when the temp is below 15f the ICE never shuts off. Also just a note - when the temp is below 20f and the everything is up to temp, (most of the time coming off the interstate from around 75mph) otherwise the ICE will never shut off in town, and I have the defrost turned on the ICE WILL shut down...

Everest

Old 12-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lund Cold Front ?

Originally Posted by Everest
.... and I have the defrost turned on the ICE WILL shut down...

Everest
That last line should not be possible. If the defrost is on the ICE cannot shut down, that is the way it is supposed to operate according to the manual.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
That last line should not be possible. If the defrost is on the ICE cannot shut down, that is the way it is supposed to operate according to the manual.

Well it does, and I also have a friend who has an 05 FEH and his does the same thing. I am guessing that when I have the defrost on the ICE has to run the a/c compressor. But from what I have read and past experience with other vehiciles the compressor will not turn on below freezing. The way I found this out was after coming off the interstate and it was about 10f, I tuned the **** to defrost thinking it would keep the ICE running, but to my surprise it turned off.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Everest
Well it does, and I also have a friend who has an 05 FEH and his does the same thing. I am guessing that when I have the defrost on the ICE has to run the a/c compressor. But from what I have read and past experience with other vehiciles the compressor will not turn on below freezing. The way I found this out was after coming off the interstate and it was about 10f, I tuned the **** to defrost thinking it would keep the ICE running, but to my surprise it turned off.
Interesting.... yes I do know if its cold enough the compressor won't come on (thats what others have said and I have no reason to doubt that). I was just under the impression from other posts that the ECU wasn't smart enough to know the engine didn't have to be running and if its in defrost she'd just lock the engine on. Looks like its smarter than I'd been led to believe. Cool (learned something new)... doesn't solve your issue though.

I've had temps around 17-20F at the coldest so far in my 4WD 06. I still have regen at those temps and my engine will still go into EV.... It just takes about twice as long for it to warm up enough for that to happen. It does kick on frequently to warm itself back up.

On its face I wouldn't think what you are talking about would help you get to EV much faster. As I understand it when its cold in almost all cars the radiator is bypassed anyway in the beginning and little coolant goes through it until the engine heats up. It might help keep the engine warm once it gets there though.

However that being said.. there is another guy on this list that puts cardboard or something to block his radiator and keep the heat in and he swears by it... and this would seem to be doing the same thing (with more panache than cardboard however)

Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

YUP... I am that guy with the cardboard. It does help things warm up quicker, and keeps things warmer when you do get into EV mode in winter and stop creating any more heat. Heat to the cabin will drain your (small) radiator heat reserve very quickly, so I turn off the heater when I'm in EV mode.
I've been able to EV down to 0'F with the cardboard, but below that, it's a lost cause!

I know for sure that the A/C compressor does not activate when outside air is 32'F or below. And thus, the ICE would not have to run if everything else is warm. However, FOR SURE the 2005 model year will not turn off the ICE if the defrost is on. If the 2007 does, then that is a very cool update!!!

-John

Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me what a Lund cold front is? Never heard of it.

Last year, we saw it hit -23 here in Nebraska, so anything I can do to help keep some heat would be great.

Also, my FEH 4WD now has nearly 5000 miles and is doing great. I expected to see a major drop in mileage now that we have colder weather but I'm still seeing about 30mpg average (50 city/50 hwy).

Dick Day

Old 12-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by DickDay
Can anyone tell me what a Lund cold front is? Never heard of it.Dick Day
Here you go:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...en&btnG=Search

Lund Cold Front - Winter Grille Insert
Description:
Accelerates engine warm up in cooler temperatures
Easy "No Drill" installation - patented design clips into factory grille openings
Black plastic protects grille from scratches
Custom designed for a perfect fit

Clif

Last edited by Duc; 12-18-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Is there any way that could harm the FEH engine? It does not appear that Lund makes one for the FEH. They certainly do look nice, much better than the cardboard we used years ago

Dick

Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Thanks. Is there any way that could harm the FEH engine? It does not appear that Lund makes one for the FEH. They certainly do look nice, much better than the cardboard we used years ago

Dick
No Prob.
Someone else will have to field this one, I live in Central Texas so cold is not a problem for me.
Clif

Old 12-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dick
I guess one advantage to the Lund is that you can see it. I block the radiator to my F-250 and occasionally I forget about it come spring, but I do notice that the gauge begins to read a little high and remember. The only danger for the Escape is that there is no gauge to tell you things are a little warmer than they should be if it warms up a bit. As long as it runs cool enough, there's no harm done.

Quick Reply: Lund Cold Front ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands