Lost the power assist on the brakes on my 2010 MMH

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Lost the power assist on the brakes on my 2010 MMH

Hello all. After getting my battery and catalytic converter issues resolved I’ve been loving my 2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.
So….. today under normal driving the dash lit up with the brake, traction control, abs and the service brake message on the info board.
Along with the lights I lost what I would call my power assist. It brought me back to the days of driving my Camaro with front drums 😬. She stops but you gotta put your leg into it.
I was able to limp her home, ran Forscan and got the following:
C1012:01-AB
C0022:49-AB
U3000:40-AB

I did some quick tests and verified that the vacuum pump is working and the hoses coming to and from appear to be in good shape. I can hear it running and see it kicking on and off with Forscan. Couldn’t find my Mityvac vacuum pump to check to see if the check valve is working like it should.

It looks like there’s a lot of big ticket items in this brake system so I coming to you guys for suggestions on where to start?

Any ideas?
Anything in particular I can look at in Forscan?
Thanks guys
John

Old 07-11-2022, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lost the power assist on the brakes on my 2010 MMH

Here’s some snap shots of the descriptions of the codes off of Forscan.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Check power and fuses for the ABS module.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Shady.
I’ve checked the fuses but will check again.
Where abouts is the ABS module located?
John

Old 07-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

Well that was weird……
So I’ve spent the last week or so gathering info, printing PDF’s and acquiring some special tools to try and diagnose my loss of power assist on the brake with the corresponding codes.
Haven’t drove the car at all since the original issue and when I created this post.

So today I jumped in the car to move it and went for a drive to charge the battery. It was about a 15min round trip and I had zero braking issues, lights or messages on the dash.

While normally I would be really excited about the car magically fixing itself especially after seeing some prices of the parts affected.
Now I’m worried about it acting up again while my wife is driving it.
Anything I can inspect that would cause an intermittent loss of power brakes?
Thanks
John

Old 07-24-2022, 05:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe air that escaped? Or something is loose that caused the ABS to lose power. The module has all of the lines coming off of it on the left side of the engine at the firewall. You never looked at the live pressures which might have pointed at a particular brake.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Hello,

Going to bump this old thread.

I am having the very same problem.

Did you ever resolve it?

Thanks!

Terry

Old 11-06-2023, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Lost the power assist on the brakes on my 2010 MMH

Me too 2010 FEH at 220,000km. No power assist. No ODB2 codes. Was towed to a shop so no FORSCAN codes. FordTechMakuloco from Chicago has a Youtube video that indicates (via DTC C1015 vacuum supply, C1014, C1015 not fluid low but misleadingly related to vacuum leak, C1800 not steering angle but indirectly related to problem and other codes that build a picture that it's vacuum related ) His video, in the case he is presenting indicates it could be the brake system vacuum pump, vacuum hose with integrated check valves or damaged (chafed) wiring harness by the oil filter. There are two redundant vacuum sensors that should read the approx same value. . Electrical connector should be tested. If OK suspect vacuum pump. If not OK, could be chafed wire against oil pan or block. He load tested the circuit going to the vacuum pump to ensure it could handle all the voltage in that circuit and that the ABS vacuum pump module relay and ABS module are working. He applies direct power to the vacuum pump in the end to see if the vacuum pump come on. Root cause in his opinion is that the aluminum housing of the vacuum pump is quieter (than plastic) but corrodes and allows water, salty water in that corrodes the pump internals.