Issues with new 2008 MMH

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast
Question Issues with new 2008 MMH

I picked up an '08 FWD MMH last week (2/14/08) and have a few concerns/problems that I would love some feedback on.

1. Though more of a "bummer" than a "concern," when I arrived at the dealer to pick up my new MMH, the first thing I noticed was a nice round door ding on the front driver's side door. The dealership is taking care of it, but my "new" car is tainted already.

2. My bigger concern is what happened this morning. I had a stop to make on my way to work. Following that stop, when I got to the driveway of the parking lot that I was in, the vehicle stalled, the "stop safely now" light came on, and I got a message that the regenerative breaking had failed or was disabled. I tried to restart the vehicle, and it started on the first or second try, so I was able to get to work (approximately 8 miles away from my stop). But the break warning stayed on. When I got to work, I started and stopped the vehicle a couple of times, and the problem replicated once but then the vehicle worked fine. Neither the stop safely light nor breaking message came on again (after the replication). I haven't tried to start it since. I have seen threads containing horror stories of break-downs, tow-ins and run-arounds from dealers for similar problems. I've also seen posts where owners have had a similar problem once or twice, but then the problem just disappeared. Should I be worried?

3. This is my first hybrid, so I'm not used to the interaction between the ICE and the electric motor, and I was prepared for the vehicle to drive differently. But I wasn't prepared for the "jerking" or 'lurching" that occasionally occurs during deceleration, I believe as the ICE is shutting down. There is a sudden jerking motion that, while not causing whiplash, seems to be more significant than what would be commercially acceptable. Its kind of like riding with someone who has just learned to drive a car with a manual transmission, and hasn't got the hang of shifting. Has anyone heard of a problem like this? I plan to ask the dealer when I take it in to have the door ding taken care of, but I'd love more information if it is out there. I saw a posting from someone with a similar problem on another site, but there was no follow-up.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Issues with new 2008 MMH

Regarding issue 3, I have had my 2008 FEH since late Sept and have approx 6000 miles. I find it very difficult to detect when the ICE cuts in and out. I have even had passengers note that they are surprised that it is so smooth and quiet.

Good Luck, Ken

Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kpdandjad
Regarding issue 3, I have had my 2008 FEH since late Sept and have approx 6000 miles. I find it very difficult to detect when the ICE cuts in and out. I have even had passengers note that they are surprised that it is so smooth and quiet.

Good Luck, Ken
Likewise, We've had our 2008 FEH since Oct 21, 2007, with 4700 miles, and have never experienced a harsh shifting into or out of ICE/EV mode. As the other Ken (kpdandjad), the transition is nearly seemless on the 08 models. In fact, that was one of the 08' model year changes that they emphasized was much better.

Something is obviously wrong with your MMH, and that is what you warranty is for. Exercise it please!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSHERM
I picked up an '08 FWD MMH last week (2/14/08) and have a few concerns/problems that I would love some feedback on.

1. Though more of a "bummer" than a "concern," when I arrived at the dealer to pick up my new MMH, the first thing I noticed was a nice round door ding on the front driver's side door. The dealership is taking care of it, but my "new" car is tainted already.

2. My bigger concern is what happened this morning. I had a stop to make on my way to work. Following that stop, when I got to the driveway of the parking lot that I was in, the vehicle stalled, the "stop safely now" light came on, and I got a message that the regenerative breaking had failed or was disabled. I tried to restart the vehicle, and it started on the first or second try, so I was able to get to work (approximately 8 miles away from my stop). But the break warning stayed on. When I got to work, I started and stopped the vehicle a couple of times, and the problem replicated once but then the vehicle worked fine. Neither the stop safely light nor breaking message came on again (after the replication). I haven't tried to start it since. I have seen threads containing horror stories of break-downs, tow-ins and run-arounds from dealers for similar problems. I've also seen posts where owners have had a similar problem once or twice, but then the problem just disappeared. Should I be worried?

3. This is my first hybrid, so I'm not used to the interaction between the ICE and the electric motor, and I was prepared for the vehicle to drive differently. But I wasn't prepared for the "jerking" or 'lurching" that occasionally occurs during deceleration, I believe as the ICE is shutting down. There is a sudden jerking motion that, while not causing whiplash, seems to be more significant than what would be commercially acceptable. Its kind of like riding with someone who has just learned to drive a car with a manual transmission, and hasn't got the hang of shifting. Has anyone heard of a problem like this? I plan to ask the dealer when I take it in to have the door ding taken care of, but I'd love more information if it is out there. I saw a posting from someone with a similar problem on another site, but there was no follow-up.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
First, you may want to go to a local auto parts store and have them put a code reader (usually free) on your vehicle to see if a "code" has be produced. If so, then the problem area should be identified. You can also buy a code reader from Walmart or other. Scanguage II units also have code readers.

Second, the harsh "lurching" you referred to "that occasionally occurs during deceleration" could be related to the regenerative braking system. You did mention "the stop safely now" light came on and that the regenerative braking was in troublesome. When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the regenerative braking system is activated and this causes slowing of the vehicle. Your vehicle for some reason, sometimes fails to smoothly slow down. It sounds like a simple software fix at the dealership would help you.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 02-18-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

Csherm:
2008 FEH, 1600 miles, mine runs smooth as silk, even the ICE is smooth, so smooth in fact, I have to look to see if it is running. I have never had a lurching problem or any warning lights. Mine is just starting to go into EV easier. getting 34.1 on this tank, pretty much regular driving.
Take it back to the dealer, something isn't right.
Bob

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

That isn't even close to right. Your concerns are well founded, that isn't normal behavior and should be returned for repairs/examinations. Don't accept for one second that there isn't a problem, don't let them give it back to you until it has been repaired. Keep any and all paperwork you can, you may (unfortunately) have a lemon.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Chris, where (closest major city ) do you live?

I know the best way to figure things out would be to compare yours to a "normal" well operating car. Comparing yours to even my 2005 would be helpful. Any happy owner would be able to tell quickly if something is wrong. Sounds like there is.

The problems with these hybrids are few and far in between.
It does happen, once in a while, by the laws of probability.
I know that does not make you feel better when it happens to your new car. Good luck, and let us now the conclusion to your story. I'd love to take a look/feel of your car if I was close enough to you. -John

Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast

item 2 is clearly not normal behavior. Item 3: as other posters have noted the transition between ICE and EV is seamless-- so much so that I sometimes have to look at the tach to see if the engine is running. I have had a "jerky" stop on occasion-- I think the transition from regenerative braking to compressive (pad) braking can sometimes be a bit abrupt, as if the pads are damp, dry off when you begin to brake, then grab a bit, right at the end of a deceleration. Don't think this has anything to do with the ICE/EV transition, and it may or may not be related to what you are experiencing. Have it checked out.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I can't say I would describe it as a jerk or a lurch, but I do notice a bit of a surge from time to time when braking. It only seems to occur when I'm slowing down while in EV mode and the ICE starts up. It almost feels like I'm letting off and the brake and coasting or sliding for a moment, even though my foot never lets up. It scared me the first couple of times I felt it and I mashed the brake pedal harder but I've gotten used to it. Are you sure it's not just a normal transition between EV and ICE?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds to me like a crap dealer if they don't take this seriously.

Let me support all the messages responding here. When I got my FEH 08, I was so thrilled with how it drove that the great MPG felt like a secondary benefit to me. The big payoff is to be able to sit out traffic delays or go through parking lots with no engine vibration or noise (or cost). Your car should feel better to drive than other cars, not worse and not "compromised."

Quick Reply: Issues with new 2008 MMH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands