Intermittent Wrench Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Intermittent Wrench Light

My wife drives an 08 FEH with about 62k on it right now.

Over the last few months it's been giving a wrench light that comes and goes and does not leave a diagnostic code, at least according to the tool available at Autozone. Internet research suggests this is a typical symptom of a faulty blend door in the battery cooling system.

Q1: Is this covered under Ford's hybrid drivetrain warranty? (I don't like paying dealer prices for work done on my coin)

Q2: I'm not afraid to work on this car where practical, and I own the full FSM. If this problem can be diagnosed or repaired by me, I'd appreciate any suggestions or starting points.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent Wrench Light

IF it is the blend door, then the instructions to repair this are here: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1229

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When I had the intermittent light it was the HV Batt blend door/act arm. Luckily I was still under original warrenty, other posts point to it NOT being covered by the hybrid extd warrenty. Go figure, it's a part only found on a hybrid, and it protects one of the most expensive (maybe the most) Hybrid parts.

I looked at that link before, it seems pretty easy DIY, I think the part is like $20.

I think one hint it was the door is the light was more intermitently on when it got hot out.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.

While it's technically bad form to change parts without a diagnosis, given how often these actuator doors seem to fail and that it's a DIY'able $19.33 part, I might actually start there.

Dave