Interesting Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Interesting Noise

Good evening everyone! I have a 2011 Ford escape hybrid with around 130,000 miles. Lately I’ve been hearing a rotating noise from the front left wheel around 55 to 60 mph! I have replaced both front sway bars and left tie rod end because it needed them but this noise is still present. What It’s really interesting is that it only happens around 50 to 60 mph when I left off the gas especially, otherwise I cannot hear anything. Mi thought is that it’s a bad wheel bearing/hub.
do you confirm?
thank you

Old 11-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Interesting Noise

It's possible that it's the LF bearing. However, don't be surprised if a new bearing completely solves your problem completely if what I recall from the internet is correct. If you can, measure the hub after a long drive and see if it's unusually hot vx the other side. Non standard non OE rims might create a resonating frequency in a narrow speed band too. DIY mechanics sometimes jack up both sides, put the vehicle in neutral and rotate the wheels to identify noise. It's possible that it might be a lot cheaper if you do nothing (as long as its minor and not running hot).

Old 11-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
It's possible that it's the LF bearing. However, don't be surprised if a new bearing completely solves your problem completely if what I recall from the internet is correct. If you can, measure the hub after a long drive and see if it's unusually hot vx the other side. Non standard non OE rims might create a resonating frequency in a narrow speed band too. DIY mechanics sometimes jack up both sides, put the vehicle in neutral and rotate the wheels to identify noise. It's possible that it might be a lot cheaper if you do nothing (as long as its minor and not running hot).
I agree! I can try to measure the hub but I have not. I have original rims so I think it might be the bearing. Do you think I should wait before replacing anything?

Old 11-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your call. At the latest, have your mechanic look at it whilst it's in the shop for other maintenance.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

Your call. At the latest, have your mechanic look at it whilst it's in the shop for other maintenance.
So I went and got my usual alignment and I told the mechanic about this noise! Call deeper from the alignment and they said everything looked fine the brakes the bearings and everything like that they believe that it is something related to the hybrid system which they do not know much about. I am not aware of anything that could cause this...

Old 11-13-2020, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

If it's when you let off the gas you are dropping engine load. The eCVT might be moving to a lower RPM to conserve fuel while it glides. The fuel supply to the engine is likely turned off. I you have high mileage, there could be some wear or play in your drivetrain that's noticeable at that time. Has the transmission fluid been changed before?

Old 11-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

If it's when you let off the gas you are dropping engine load. The eCVT might be moving to a lower RPM to conserve fuel while it glides. The fuel supply to the engine is likely turned off. I you have high mileage, there could be some wear or play in your drivetrain that's noticeable at that time. Has the transmission fluid been changed before?
You are so right! I do feel the noise when lifting off the gas! I have not changed the eCVT fluid but I did differential and axle.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

If your eCVT fluid has never been changed, there is a possibility that you are hearing some noise from worn bearings when engine load drops sharply. Only a guess.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

If your eCVT fluid has never been changed, there is a possibility that you are hearing some noise from worn bearings when engine load drops sharply. Only a guess.
I will go ahead and change it and see if any metal comes out...

Old 11-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did a change about 2 months ago and thought it odd that there was no magnet on the drain plug. You could think about putting a small supermagnet on the plug now and drive it for a couple of weeks and see what sticks to the magnetized plug. Another alternative is an oil analysis. That said, neither the former or latter will change your situation if by chance I am right. Changing or having the transmission fluid changed is a good idea and simple to do. Ensure the right fluid is used!

Quick Reply: Interesting Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands