Injector Clearner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Question Injector Clearner?

Just wondering - since I have over 20K miles on my FEH - and I have noticed it not idling as smoothly as I would like, I was thinking the Injectors might need a little cleaning.

Has anyone done there own Fuel Injector Cleaner (bottle added to tank- like commercial Injector/System cleaners) - and if so what was the outcome. I know that there is a MPG change between the winter and summer blends and going to a High Octane gas is bad. I don't know if doing the self added injector cleaner is going to hurt/help just a single tank or is a longer term (if bad) getting the stuff out of the system.

Just a Question! Any answers?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Injector Clearner?

I've never really been a believer in the "cure in a bottle" methods. I think that with the amount of detergents in today's gasolines that if your injectors are clogged/dirty, nothing you can buy over the counter is going to do any better.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Some have suggested that using a tank of a high(er) detergent gasoline may provide some relief for this condition.

I am not sure if it is state by state, but some brands do have more detergents. I believe (I may be wrong) that Shell premium is one of the best at this. You don't want to run premium in a car with a recommended fuel of 87 on a regular basis, but in this case it may be helpful.

BTW, I have 45k miles on my FEH and have not seen that problem (yet).

Old 09-19-2006, 05:07 AM

Hi Philip

I've never actually had to have injectors in any of my fuel injected cars cleaned and with the mileage you have on yours, I doubt the injectors are dirty. A couple other things come to mind.

Have you checked and/or changed your fuel and engine air filter? Not sure what the recommended interval for either is but you may be close for the fuel filter. I was under mine the other day and noticed the fuel filter - looks like it should be a piece of cake to change.

Have you looked at the throttle body? I have found that this can be a source of rough idling. They will sometimes get a varnish-like buildup on them. Throttle body cleaner from the parts store will do the trick if it looks dirty. Just don't use anything abrasive on it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 AM

Hi Phillip

This pass week I read that the injectors are self cleaning and will never need to be cleaned. It will take a little time for me to find it again in the workshop manual, but I will if you want me too. This was something that caught my eye when I read it, but it appears most auto engines built today have this design now.

GaryG

Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Injector Clearner?

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Phillip

This pass week I read that the injectors are self cleaning and will never need to be cleaned. It will take a little time for me to find it again in the workshop manual, but I will if you want me too. This was something that caught my eye when I read it, but it appears most auto engines built today have this design now.

GaryG
Thanks Gary (and no - don't go to the trouble of finding it again - I belive you) and to all the others for your response to my question. I think I am just going to go out and floor it and blow it out and see if that helps (Worked in the past on others). Plus I will see 'Just what the Top end Is' - will let all of you know right after I get out of jail.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
I think I am just going to go out and floor it and blow it out and see if that helps (Worked in the past on others). Plus I will see 'Just what the Top end Is' - will let all of you know right after I get out of jail.
The only thing you'll be arrested for is impeding the flow of traffic. At least based on my observations travelling between Dobbins AFB and Fayette County. I always thougt Boston was bad until I drove for a few weeks in Atlanta......

My father never bought that "driving fast to blow out the carbon" bit. He is a wise man - told me to just drive in low gear. Too bad there weren't CVT's back then....

Old 09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Cool Re: Injector Clearner?

Originally Posted by nitramjr
The only thing you'll be arrested for is impeding the flow of traffic. At least based on my observations travelling between Dobbins AFB and Fayette County. I always thougt Boston was bad until I drove for a few weeks in Atlanta......
Hi Ray - Yeah generally I would just put it in a lower gear and get the RPM's up a bit and hold it there for a while just to blow it out.

Yeah that's right when you come into Atl you stay on the North and W to SW side of town. Try getting on GA 400 (NE Atl) in a non rush-hour time - the guys and gals that drive their BMW's, Jag's etc think the 400 is what the speed limit is. If you are going 75 or below you will run over like you are sitting still .

Last edited by VietVet'67; 09-19-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I read a FAQ on gasoline by someone who claimed to be a chemist. He said that all gasoline brands start out the same. Often different brands will buy gasoline from the same refinery. The only difference is the additives that the various brands use. The chemist said that each additive cleans a different part of the fuel system. The chemist then went on to say that he personally will use the same type of gas for 5,000 miles, and then he will change brands. He thought that by switching brands, different components of his engine will be cleaned.

It sounds good in theory to me, but I have no idea if this is fact or fiction.

Rick

Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
The chemist then went on to say that he personally will use the same type of gas for 5,000 miles, and then he will change brands. He thought that by switching brands, different components of his engine will be cleaned.
Wow, that guy has been spending too much time around chemicals.

I think as long as you use gas from a fairly modern station that has good turnover in supply, keep your fuel filter changed as recommended, and drive your car enough to keep the gas from getting old, then you shouldn't ever have to clean the fuel system or the engine. That's just my opinion though.