Improving gas mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Improving gas mileage...

I'll chime in since you may have been referring to myself.

Yes, it's mostly how your drive, but also learning every minute detail about your hybrid and learning to get the most out of it. "Be the machine" is an old mantra, but it works. Ford engineers have done a good programming job, so the car can predict your next move. I like to do the reverse. Predict the car's next move, and counteract it, when beneficial. For example, I know when the ICE is about to start up, and can "head it off at the pass" and keep it off. N gear select when standing still at a light, fast food drive through, or bank teller drive up assures I stay in EV and don't waste any additional gas. That's how I keep my averages up. I'm sure you all can get 40 MPG segments, but then blow them away with 0 MPG segments at red lights and McDonald's ( or your drive-thru of choice ).

I get great averages by never EVER burning gas when my FEH is standing still.
My 0 MPG segments are almost NONE!
Took me 10,000 miles to learn most of the tricks, and I'm still learning.
-John

Originally Posted by lmorrissey1968
How are some of these people getting high 30s and low 40s gas mileage? What is their secret? The best I have been able to acheive for a tank is 32.6 mpg. Also, my on board computer is consistantly wrong in its calculation of the mileage (most tanks it tells me my MPG is higher than it actually is).

Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Improving gas mileage...

Sorry, but I just have to mention this story....

Yesterday, on the way to work, I noticed a FEH on the on-ramp up ahead. To give him as much room as possible, I moved over to the left lane (one of my few times in the left lane with my MMH ).

Well, to my surprise, the FEH driver floored it, and took off.

I was watching him then floor it until he was right on someone's rear bumper, and then slam the brakes on. He would eventually get around that car, floor it until he was on someone else's bumper, and then slam the brakes on. I just keep watching him doing this over and over, until he disappeared from my sight into the rush hour traffic up ahead.

I wonder if this guy questions why he is only getting 12mpg with his FEH?