ICE turns off when coolant reaches what temp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default ICE turns off when coolant reaches what temp?

Hey all,

So I've replaced my Cabin Heater Pump (Part: $111, Shipping: $48, Install: $218). And now I get heat when the engine is off! Which is great and exactly what I needed up here in northern Alberta.

It appears that it now takes longer to go into EV mode, but I believe this is because the vehicle detects if the coolant is warm enough to provide heat into the cabin, and will only enter EV mode once heat is available via the coolant.

I was trying to see at what temps the ICE will turn on / off, and it appears (according to my scanguage) that the ICE will turn off once the fWT (Water temp?) hits around 166 - 168 Fahrenheit. And will turn on again one the fWT drops below 150 Fahrenheit.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Also, I was hoping the new pump would correct this, but has anyone noticed that the passenger blower at the feet is very cold compared to the rest of the blowers? Heat will come out the main vents quite hot, but the passenger foot blower is almost cold at times.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE turns off when coolant reaches what temp?

Originally Posted by robbiedoo
Hey all,

So I've replaced my Cabin Heater Pump (Part: $111, Shipping: $48, Install: $218). And now I get heat when the engine is off! Which is great and exactly what I needed up here in northern Alberta.

It appears that it now takes longer to go into EV mode, but I believe this is because the vehicle detects if the coolant is warm enough to provide heat into the cabin, and will only enter EV mode once heat is available via the coolant.

I was trying to see at what temps the ICE will turn on / off, and it appears (according to my scanguage) that the ICE will turn off once the fWT (Water temp?) hits around 166 - 168 Fahrenheit. And will turn on again one the fWT drops below 150 Fahrenheit.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?

The numbers I had heard and confirmed (for my '05 anyhow) are EV available once fWT goes above 150 F and off if it drops below 125 F.

Also, I was hoping the new pump would correct this, but has anyone noticed that the passenger blower at the feet is very cold compared to the rest of the blowers? Heat will come out the main vents quite hot, but the passenger foot blower is almost cold at times.

Does it ever come out hot? You may have a problem with the blend door motor or it's control system. It may not be moving the blend door to the heating position and therefore you're getting just outside air.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

"Does it ever come out hot? You may have a problem with the blend door motor or it's control system. It may not be moving the blend door to the heating position and therefore you're getting just outside air."

No, hot air never comes out, the best is somewhat less cold air but it's either always cold or cool, never warm. And it's only on the passenger side, never the driver side. And always the floor.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast

I'm searching the forums looking for the same issue but most posts are talking about the rear blend door actuator, which I think is not the same thing you mentioned.

Do you know if anyone else has had this issue on the forums?

I'm thinking maybe I bought a used lemon... MECS pump, Electric Cabin Heater Pump, Front Brakes & Struts, Rear brakes need done soon, plus there's a thunk from the back end when I go over bumps, and creaking from back there on smaller bumps. Dealer recommended transfer case & rear diff fluid replacement last oil change, so got that all done... Now that I think of it I can't believe all the cash I sunk into this thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm searching the forums looking for the same issue but most posts are talking about the rear blend door actuator, which I think is not the same thing you mentioned.

Correct. The rear blend door actuator has to do with the cooling of the HV hybrid battery. I've already replaced that myself, $20 part, a couple hours of my labor.

Do you know if anyone else has had this issue on the forums?

I'm thinking maybe I bought a used lemon... MECS pump, Electric Cabin Heater Pump, Front Brakes & Struts, Rear brakes need done soon, plus there's a thunk from the back end when I go over bumps, and creaking from back there on smaller bumps. Dealer recommended transfer case & rear diff fluid replacement last oil change, so got that all done... Now that I think of it I can't believe all the cash I sunk into this thing.
Bought my '05 back in Oct. and have been happy with it. Sorry to hear about all your problems. I think I may need a cabin heater pump too. Or maybe a relay. It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes not.
I'm presently working on adding the parts for the HV battery warmer. The cold weather here in Minnesota really makes it hard to get into EV mode, HV battery too cold. I was getting around 30 MPG until the cooler (below 35F) weather hit, now only about 20-24.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Yea, the real shame is that I really like the vehicle itself ('06 FEH).

I got it for way less than I've seen others sell for recently, so I had room for a few repairs but that room is disappearing quickly... now I wonder if I should keep fixing it or just let it go...

But I digress, I'm still looking to see if anyone else has had the cold heat from only the passenger floor vent (or a similar issue). I read that I should check some vacuum hoses, can anyone confirm? Or should I just assume it's the blend door motor?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, the real shame is that I really like the vehicle itself ('06 FEH).

I got it for way less than I've seen others sell for recently, so I had room for a few repairs but that room is disappearing quickly... now I wonder if I should keep fixing it or just let it go...

But I digress, I'm still looking to see if anyone else has had the cold heat from only the passenger floor vent (or a similar issue). I read that I should check some vacuum hoses, can anyone confirm? Or should I just assume it's the blend door motor?
I don't think the early models had a blend door motor in front - I think that came with the dual temperature feature in the 2008. I would poke around to see if something came loose as that would be the most likely reason for what you are seeing.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
I don't think the early models had a blend door motor in front - I think that came with the dual temperature feature in the 2008. I would poke around to see if something came loose as that would be the most likely reason for what you are seeing.
Really? That's actually good news. I'll poke around and take a look, as you say.

I don't have a repair manual, and being not so mechanical I'm unsure of what hoses to look at under the bonnet, but I'll take a look-see!

Last edited by robbiedoo; 01-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.