I thought this was under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default I thought this was under warranty?

Can someone help me with this.... I took my 06 hybrid into Earnhardt Ford in chandler az for an occasional service-soon message.
They diagnosed the problem to be the following defective parts:

8L8Z*19E616*E Motor Asy $28.98
4F1Z*14N089*BA Relay $37.78.

Total Parts $66.76
Total Labor $410.00

The said these were not under warranty.
I have 44K miles on the vehicle so the 3/36 is obviously expired, but I thought these were covered under the 8yrs./100K??
I shelled out $500+ and expressed my concerns to the service manager, and said this would be my last Ford purchase unless they made good on this.....but he insisted that Ford does not cover these parts, even though they are part of the hybrid power system.

Do I have a case here to escalate further?
john.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I thought this was under warranty?

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
Can someone help me with this.... I took my 06 hybrid into Earnhardt Ford in chandler az for an occasional service-soon message.

Total Parts $66.76
Total Labor $410.00

The said these were not under warranty.
I have 44K miles on the vehicle so the 3/36 is obviously expired, but I thought these were covered under the 8yrs./100K??
I shelled out $500+ and expressed my concerns to the service manager, and said this would be my last Ford purchase unless they made good on this.....but he insisted that Ford does not cover these parts, even though they are part of the hybrid power system.

Do I have a case here to escalate further?
john.
Unfortunately, no. There are only THREE specific items covered by the hybrid warranty: HV battery, transaxle assembly, and DC-DC converter. You had the blend door driver motor failure which has been discussed ad nauseum on this and other sites. Given the high rate of failure for this item one would think Ford would have a recall or at least fix it for free, but I guess no go in this economy. And as far as Reamhard, uh I mean Earnhardt, I have not had much luck with them in the past but have never taken my FEH there. I did the blend door fix myself and ordered the part on-line for $20. Unfortunately, by doing it myself I didn't get the battery software update, but no further problems so far.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grnhybrid

Total Parts $66.76
Total Labor $410.00
If this was just the blend door fix, I would argue about the labor charge. I waited while the dealer did this repair on my FEH and it took about an hour. I think the official labor time was 1.1 hours. $410 for an hour of shop time just seems too high.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Thats what I thought, aarrgh. I like the "reamhard" reference, that cheered me up some

I thought about fixing it myself, but Im mostly a shadetree mechanic and the new technology just scares me too much.

I appreciated the feedback from both of you.....
john

Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Is it under warranty? No.
Do you owe them to get it fixed? Yes.

Price seems high to me.
You owe them, but like anything else, price IS negotionable.
I have said in the past "$400 ??? That is way higher than what other dealers in the area quoted me AFTER I had the work done at your place, why is that?
( Let them squirm a little and try to explain. )

I'm only willing to pay the more reasonable $300.
( They'll often say, Well, how about $350? )

For parts, I always do my homework and say, "I can get the part online for X dollars. Should I buy the part from them, or you? 3 times out of 4 the dealer has matched the internet price. Once they didn't and were fine with me walking away.

You have to get a little mean and visibly upset. Such a shame you need to do that, but it can save you 25%??? sometimes.

HTH

Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Is it under warranty? No.
Do you owe them to get it fixed? Yes.

Price seems high to me.
You owe them, but like anything else, price IS negotionable.
I have said in the past "$400 ??? That is way higher than what other dealers in the area quoted me AFTER I had the work done at your place, why is that?
( Let them squirm a little and try to explain. )

I'm only willing to pay the more reasonable $300.
( They'll often say, Well, how about $350? )

For parts, I always do my homework and say, "I can get the part online for X dollars. Should I buy the part from them, or you? 3 times out of 4 the dealer has matched the internet price. Once they didn't and were fine with me walking away.

You have to get a little mean and visibly upset. Such a shame you need to do that, but it can save you 25%??? sometimes.

HTH
Well, Ill tell ya, I worked over the Service manager for a good 10min over the phone, and was very hot about getting reamed by ford and their dealership, but he didnt budge. I really dont think they care one way or the other about repeat business....
thanks
john