Hypermiling Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Default Re: Hypermiling Clarification

Thanks for setting the facts straight again Steve!

"I'd bet the FEH hypermilers also rely on physical calculations of distance/consumption."

Of course we do, those hypermilers posting here have LMPG Mileage Logs here or at CMPG like you. Bill is just posting nonsense and doesn't care about hypermiling like you and I. It's a hobby and a challenge for me.

GaryG

Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

At the end of the day you have to pay careful attention and use special and abnormal procedures to get these results.

I get it, I also understand how people under stress react from my 30 years of active duty. What you miss is precisely this point: you're using special procedures that require careful attention to detail all the time. A few seconds of your mind drifting at the wrong time equals an accident.

In my time on active duty I heard people say things like 'when the chips are down we'll do the right things, don't worry.' The reality is that they did what they normally did and if it was wrong they reacted wrong to an emergency of some kind.

And this is the point I'm making... you're asking people to do things that can lead them to react incorrectly when an accident it imminent.

I've heard the above about doing the right thing when it's a real situation and then seen nearly everyone of them do the wrong thing in a real situation to buy into this line.

Doesn't pass the commonsense test.

...And that's my point.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Imported from Detroit

Some may not agree but to me Hypermiling is just another form of destracted driving just like using a cellphone while driving.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Some may not agree but to me Hypermiling is just another form of destracted driving just like using a cellphone while driving.
I understand that's your opinion and I respect that fact.
Dooding with cellphones, eating, drinking, changing CD's or a radio station, structuring kids etc are all distractions which have nothing to do with the most important aspect of automotive travel which is remaining safe, alert, responsive and aware of the ever changing conditions and being both active and proactive about it.

Hypermiling requires one to be hyper aware of one's surrounding and to be both active and proactive to the ever changing conditions including traffic. Certainly far more aware than a typical driver.

I'll interject that being especially focused on both the road, traffic and your own automobile is far more safer than allowing the mind to wander in unrelated thoughts, which is what most people do while behind the wheel.

Case in point. Next time you're a passenger out on the road take a look at almost all the other drivers. Blank, expressionless hypnotized faces thinking of other things and not even aware of the condition of their automobile. Take notice of how their front rims are black because of alignment neglect, and how some tires bulge at the road for under pressure... especially the rear driver side tire.

I'd say the alert and focused person is far more safer than the spacey unfocused one. A bad situation exists when these unfocused drivers fiddle with CD's, cellphones etc. Accidents happen. I'd rather be keenly aware of all aspects of my driving, conditions and automobile when the unfocused collide together.
But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 09-13-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Give it a rest. We're all adults out here in the real world.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Give it a rest. We're all adults out here in the real world.
Steve is 100% correct, a much better record than you have here.

An example of what he's talking about just happen to me the other day.

"Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:07 PM
This afternoon I was driving about 65mph on I-95 in the slow lane when a Semi lost his entire right front tread in the middle lane. There was barrel road barricades to the right of me where construction and uneven pavement was going on. The huge round tread was rolling in the path of my front bumper and windshield and in a split second, I cut in between the barricades onto the uneven road construction and there was no time to hit the brakes and miss the retread. Here I was on the right side of the barricades doing ~60mph coming up on a entrance ramp loaded with cars merging onto I-95 and a Semi trying to pull over beside me. I didn't know if the Semi was going to hit the merging traffic, but I knew I didn't want to be a part of that accident. I made it out of the barricades behind the Semi very close and made it to the center lane around him. This was a heart attack situation as I watched the Semi stop behind me with all the cars merging stopping."

A comment from a Blue Oval member:

"Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:18 PM
I know what kind of air pressure you run in your tires and I know what kind of difference that makes compared to the factory setting. I'm sure that helped out too. Glad you're alright."

I constantly stay alert for anything that can happen while hypermiling. My new '11 Explorer is in tip top shape with the tire pressure at max sidewall of 51psi.

There are drivers on the road that are accidents waiting to happen everyday. While I hypermile, I notice those drivers and stay away from them.

GaryG

Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I understand that's your opinion and I respect that fact.
Dooding with cellphones, eating, drinking, changing CD's or a radio station, structuring kids etc are all distractions which have nothing to do with the most important aspect of automotive travel which is remaining safe, alert, responsive and aware of the ever changing conditions and being both active and proactive about it.

Hypermiling requires one to be hyper aware of one's surrounding and to be both active and proactive to the ever changing conditions including traffic. Certainly far more aware than a typical driver.

I'll interject that being especially focused on both the road, traffic and your own automobile is far more safer than allowing the mind to wander in unrelated thoughts, which is what most people do while behind the wheel.

Case in point. Next time you're a passenger out on the road take a look at almost all the other drivers. Blank, expressionless hypnotized faces thinking of other things and not even aware of the condition of their automobile. Take notice of how their front rims are black because of alignment neglect, and how some tires bulge at the road for under pressure... especially the rear driver side tire.

I'd say the alert and focused person is far more safer than the spacey unfocused one. A bad situation exists when these unfocused drivers fiddle with CD's, cellphones etc. Accidents happen. I'd rather be keenly aware of all aspects of my driving, conditions and automobile when the unfocused collide together.
But that's just my opinion.
Most often caused by brake dust since asbestos was removed from brake pads and not aligment neglect.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
Most often caused by brake dust since asbestos was removed from brake pads and not aligment neglect.
I have to agree Bill, when I notice brake dust, I take that as a driver that drives with hard acceleration and hard braking. I never get that anymore after I changed my driving habits and started hypermiling. Those are drivers I try to stay away from also.

Never had any dust problem on my '05 FEH until my wife started driving it after I got the '09 FEH. It was hard getting her to stop accelerating up to a stoplight and slamming on the brakes. She drives much better now and the dust is gone from all my vehicles. Never thought the dust also comes from a bad alignment, but I guess it's possible.

GaryG

Old 09-14-2011, 05:08 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
I have to agree Bill, when I notice brake dust, I take that as a driver that drives with hard acceleration and hard braking. I never get that anymore after I changed my driving habits and started hypermiling. Those are drivers I try to stay away from also.

Never had any dust problem on my '05 FEH until my wife started driving it after I got the '09 FEH. It was hard getting her to stop accelerating up to a stoplight and slamming on the brakes. She drives much better now and the dust is gone from all my vehicles. Never thought the dust also comes from a bad alignment, but I guess it's possible.

GaryG
I had that but not very bad on my old '97 Ranger till I replaced the front pads with Duralast from AutoZone.

I've heard but unsure if it's true that the brake dust can ruin a mag rim. I do know that it sticks like glue. That's why the auto wash places use a special spray for that purpose.

This problem is present on many vehicles of all price ranges.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM

An example of Real World hypermiling documentation:

CleanMPG Hypermiling mavens Wayne Gerdes and Chris Bernius teamed with Kia Motors to set a new Guinness World Record for the lowest fuel consumption in a hybrid gasoline vehicle while driving through all 48 adjoining U.S. states.

The team successfully travelled the 7,899 mile route across America to achieve the goal of 64.55 MPG in a factory stock 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid. This bested the EPA estimate of 40 MPG by 61.37 percent.

The remarkable economy figure we achieved included driving in all kinds of conditions, from straight open highway and deserts to gridlocked city traffic, so this really was the ultimate demonstration of the real-world fueleconomy that any Optima Hybrid owner can achieve with attention to the details of their driving style.”
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40821

GaryG

Quick Reply: Hypermiling Clarification

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands