How to Silence the Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default How to Silence the Engine Noise

I used to own a 1999 Ford Contour with the 24V V6 engine, which was extraordinary--powerful but quiet. So, when I bought the 2009 FEH, I was aghast at the engine noise, especially at 2000 RPM (60 MPH). NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A MECHANICAL PROBLEM--THE ENGINE RUNS WELL, IT IS POOR INSULATION BY FORD. So, I did the following, and it made it bearable:

1. Took out the firewall insulation and hood liner.
2. Painted both with several coats of Quiet Car sound deadener.
3. Replaced the hood liner with Dynamat Hoodliner product.
4. Replaced the firewall insulation with Cascade Audio Engineering's VB-TSM thermoacoustic foam. This is a 1" foam, with a Mylar skin for heat resistance. Also added this below the car between the resonator and the car undercarriage.
5. Replaced all 4 speakers with aftermarket speakers, and lined all doors completely with Dynamat (not just behind the speaker itself). Put remaining Dynamat under the floor in the front.

I just drove it 800 miles on a trip, and a friend noted that it is quieter than his Taurus (that may not be saying much, but there it is). I do notice that the major noise now is wind noise at highway speeds, or tire noise on really rough pavement--engine noise is much reduced. Ton of time and money--Ford should incorporate some better insulation on a $30K vehicle. Thanks.