How hard to change 08 escape hybrid's CV Axle Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How hard to change 08 escape hybrid's CV Axle Seal?

How hard is it? Do I need any special tool to pull the old seal out and push the seal in? Thanks!

Old 11-11-2019, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How hard to change 08 escape hybrid's CV Axle Seal?

It's the same as replacing on any similar vehicle. You probably can pry out the old seal with a screwdriver but be careful not to scrape the area it slides into. You may need a driver for the seal, or a very large socket to install the new one. You will need a 250 ft. Lb. torque wrench to tighten the axle nut to spec. There are videos you can find online or get a Haynes manual from the library or local parts store. You can do it, be careful putting the axle back in to not cut the seal with the spline on the shaft.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2008 Ford Escape Torque Specs

Originally Posted by ShadetreeG
It's the same as replacing on any similar vehicle. You probably can pry out the old seal with a screwdriver but be careful not to scrape the area it slides into. You may need a driver for the seal, or a very large socket to install the new one. You will need a 250 ft. Lb. torque wrench to tighten the axle nut to spec. There are videos you can find online or get a Haynes manual from the library or local parts store. You can do it, be careful putting the axle back in to not cut the seal with the spline on the shaft.
Thanks. I pulled the old seal out then I found out I ordered a wrong part, LOL.
The correct part number is 5M6Z1177LA for 08 escape hybrid. Most part store got it wrong. CVT transmissions uses Japanese Seals.

Attached the torque specs what I found for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid just in case if anyone needs it.

Last edited by accent2010; 11-24-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

By any chance, do you remember if you needed any special tools to install the new seal? I need to replace mine since it is leaking and I cannot find any information, not even on Ford's manual.

Old 11-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

I had torn CV boots on my '10 FEH, and ended up just replacing both axles. If they're the original axes, the process of removing them involved a lot of violent hammering that's damaged them pretty severely, so you might to replace them anyway (unless you replace the boot as-is, although a repair like that is less reliable.) If you do replace them, go with OEM; all of the aftermarket ones I had failed after a few hundred miles because they were slightly short. The OEM axles cost about $100/ea, which is pretty much the same price as Autozone.