Hot Afternoons result in no EV - repair needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hot Afternoons result in no EV - repair needed...

So I just throught I'd post this here for info in the future in case anyone else needs the info in the future. As I alluded to here in post 28 I didn't have any EV (only) mode on the way home after work in 95ish degree afternoons. After 2 straight days I called the dealer and schedule to take it in on wends. That afternoon, also, I didn't have any EV (only) mode.

After the first day in the shop they didn't find anything so they had to keep it a second day. I got a call this afternoon saying that it was fixed and they wanted to test it this afternoon to just make sure... of course, it has cooled down here and will only be 85 so I doubt the test will determine much.

For reference, my car has 10600 miles, had a oil change at 9850 miles and at 10300 had a wrench light for the battery actuator door sensor (or something like that) and that was replaced. I drive 13 miles to and from work on all surface streets and often use the battery and EV heavily.

That said I will keep you guys up to date with what the problem was and what the solution is.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hot Afternoons result in no EV - repair needed...

My guess is that they replaced the battery fan door actuator motor.
It opens the door that lets cooling air get to the battery. They are a known point of failure.

Mark

Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
My guess is that they replaced the battery fan door actuator motor.
It opens the door that lets cooling air get to the battery. They are a known point of failure.

Mark
That is what it was. The tech said he saw their was a bulletin on it as a known problem.

Picked up the car and the tech wasn't there so I couldn't talk to him... He should call me monday. Here is what the paperwork says:

"Repair open circuit at C4228, VYB07(CN/WH), Harness 14405"

It also says:
They checked a lot of stuff and then "check aux evaporator thermistor circuits, no voltage, checks circuits for short, no short. Ceck circuits VYB07(CN/WH) & RYB07 (GY/YE), found open circuir, repair VYB07(CN/WH) at connector C4228."

Anyone know what that really means? Was it serious? Total labor was like 1 hour... Also, if there was a wiring problem why would the car have been fine in the morning and not in the heat of the afternoon?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

If the door won't open, the batteries run too warm, so you get no ev because the system is protecting itself. Likely be fine now.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to clarify the door was what was replaced 300 miles, 3 weeks ago. It was back in the shop for this new problem this week after the door was fixed.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Just to clarify the door was what was replaced 300 miles, 3 weeks ago. It was back in the shop for this new problem this week after the door was fixed.

Sorry, missed that. EV not working in the warm points to the hot battery problem, so perhaps the fan door is still not working? Could the filter be totally clogged?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MMooney
Sorry, missed that. EV not working in the warm points to the hot battery problem, so perhaps the fan door is still not working? Could the filter be totally clogged?
No, the wiring harness had an open circuit to the HV Battery Compartment evaporator thermistor C4228. It appears when the battery got hot enough the A/C could not cool the battery compartment. The TBCM prevented EV and heating the battery further. My guess is when they did the blend door repair they either forgot to plug the harness back in or got a bad connection. Trek should be good to go now. I love these repair manuals!

GaryG

Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
My guess is when they did the blend door repair they either forgot to plug the harness back in or got a bad connection. Trek should be good to go now.
That is what I was thinking. They forgot to connect something from the repair 300 miles ago. I'm thinking about writing a complaint about the 2 days of lost time in the car for the new repair due to them not connecting a wire properly. Is it even worth it???

Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
That is what I was thinking. They forgot to connect something from the repair 300 miles ago. I'm thinking about writing a complaint about the 2 days of lost time in the car for the new repair due to them not connecting a wire properly. Is it even worth it???
The only thing that would do is put you on bad terms with the dealership. Repairs could get costly after the warranty so I would let it drop myself. Like I said, it could have been a bad connection also.

GaryG