Help from the service manual please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Help from the service manual please...

I am wondering if someone with the service manuals could help me out and maybe post a diagram or 2 for me?

It turns out that the front bumper of my MMH appears to be falling off. Yes, falling off. The entire driver's side seems to be held on solely by the plastic rivets connecting it to the plastic shielding in the wheel well. The plastic rivets under the middle of the bumper appear to have fallen out. Only the passenger side seems to be firmly attached (see photo). By rivets, I mean the black plastic things that look like screws but just pop into place.

If someone could post a diagram of the front bumper and how it is attached and possibly the parts that are supposed to be there, that would be a big help.

Unfortunately, I am 2 months out of warranty and don't expect Ford to volunteer to correct this. Also, its probably easier for me (I hope) to buy the plastic rivets and pop them in than to have my wife follow me 30 min to the dealer, drop off the car go home, wait a day and drive all the way back.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Help from the service manual please...

You can buy the plastic pop rivits. Buy some and do it yourself.
Take one into your dealer or any repair shop as they are fairly standard.
They are not cheap, but cheaper than having someone else do it.
I think it was $10 or $12 for a 4 pak when I got some a couple years past.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 PM

that's the plan....i'm just not sure where or how many there are. It seems like there are some concealed fasteners up in the bumper somewhere towards the drivers side that are missing. I'm hoping the service manual has the details.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Help from the service manual please...

Not sure if this will help, but here it is.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bumper - Front.pdf (139.5 KB, 1090 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 PM

I believe I remember seeing these type fasteners at Lowe's or Home Deport in the random drawers they have for fasteners, bolts, rubber bumpers and random stuff (near the wall of screws). If not there, I've seen them on eBay too. Ford and other manufacturers have used these fasteners for years and there's even a specific tool that looks like a large flat blade screwdriver with a notch cut out of the middle of the tip (think:fork).

I expect that your Mariner has been hit in the bumper at some point. Probably a low speed impact. Possibly even a person who was a bit sloppy when parking in front of you. I would also expect to find a bit of cracked paint somewhere near the impact point.