Goodyear Fortera TripleTred

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Goodyear Fortera TripleTred

Originally Posted by Billyk
I have the AWD system and when I travel on the interstate and it starts to rain, my mpg do drop. When the rain stops and pavement drys out, the mpg increases.
Billy-

You need to stop driving so recklessly

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure I really want to get into this one, but I think rain reduces gas mileage on any car. It seems to me that even a small amount of water on the road would increase rolling resistance. The gas mileage hit you take on a 4WD (or AWD) even in 2WD mode is due to the increased number of rotating parts. On an Escape AWD, even if you are in 2WD, the rear differential and driveshaft turn. All these parts have drag and have to be accelerated every time you stop and start.

Some more expensive 4WD/AWD vehicles that are normally rear wheel drive have systems that disengage the front hubs and minimize this effect but I don't think any normally FWD vehicles do this. My 4WD truck takes a 1 or 2 mpg hit on the EPA ratings for no other reason than it always turns the front driveshaft and differential.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Again today, rain, and with the Fortera's avg was 31.5mpg This looks like it will be a consistent result. (As grippy as these tires are, its not a surprise that they handle the rain like its not there)

With the EcoPlus 28mpg was the best I could do in the rain. Only variable? The tires.

So, how would AWD only be affected, in the rain, and with the EcoPlus Tires? One explanation. The EcoPlus MUST have poor traction in the rain. (go to Tirerack and look at continental reviews, they are rated the worst in almost every category)

I will take the minimal mileage hit any day over safety and the horrible noise.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Keep us posted on the handling as they wear. I've had plenty of tires that were great for the first few hundred miles only to fall apart shortly afterward.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well with 60,000 warranty, Roadside assistance included in the warranty, and a 30 day money back guarantee, its hard to beat.

The only negative reviews seem to be on the Heavy SUV's. The midsize SUV's such as ours seem to do very well with this tire.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikesus
Again today, rain, and with the Fortera's avg was 31.5mpg This looks like it will be a consistent result. (As grippy as these tires are, its not a surprise that they handle the rain like its not there)

With the EcoPlus 28mpg was the best I could do in the rain. Only variable? The tires.

So, how would AWD only be affected, in the rain, and with the EcoPlus Tires? One explanation. The EcoPlus MUST have poor traction in the rain. (go to Tirerack and look at continental reviews, they are rated the worst in almost every category)

I will take the minimal mileage hit any day over safety and the horrible noise.
Don't the FWD's have pretty the same hit to their mileage on rainy days? I thought they did from the posts I've seen here.

Last edited by TeeSter; 04-24-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus
Billy-

You need to stop driving so recklessly
Yea, that is why I normally hug the right lane!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

I bought the Fortera's a couple of years ago, because my Conti Eco's were always going flat (there was a lot of construction around my work) I have an '05 FEH and I was getting around 33 mpg I am now getting around 30mpg Definitely better traction, but I am not sure it was worth the mileage hit.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mmelvin
I bought the Fortera's a couple of years ago, because my Conti Eco's were always going flat (there was a lot of construction around my work) I have an '05 FEH and I was getting around 33 mpg I am now getting around 30mpg Definitely better traction, but I am not sure it was worth the mileage hit.
Mark, how many miles do you have on your Triple Treads? Can you measure how much tread depth is left on your tires? At what pressure-psi- do you run your tires?

I bought my Triple Treads tires for Winter Traction purposes. I put them on the vehicle after Thanksgiving and take them off late Winter or Early Spring. I was not impressed with my Conti EcoPlus tires in wet snow prior to installing my Triple Treads.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Resistance is there from hitting the rain with the body too. But I do don't understand the tires spinning in the rain. I never do