Glide Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Glide Mode

I can not seem to find the glide mode while decelerating.
The Prius I own does this, can the ford do it also.
The feed back screen does not seem to show this.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Glide Mode

What does Glide mean in the Prius? I "glide" in my MMH when I go down a hill and press the gas pedal just enough to cancel out regen, but not enough to enter into one of the drive modes. When I do this, the system state is displayed as "Idle". This can be with the ICE on or off.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

That would be close to what I am talking about.
The Prius will do this just coasting down a flat road.
I could not get the ford to do it yet. But I'm working on it.

But you say you can get yours to do it. MMMMMM

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
What does Glide mean in the Prius? I "glide" in my MMH when I go down a hill and press the gas pedal just enough to cancel out regen, but not enough to enter into one of the drive modes. When I do this, the system state is displayed as "Idle". This can be with the ICE on or off.
I do this all the time in my 2008 FEH now without even thinking about it. I did it on purpose tonight on the way home just to confirm the "Idle" status mentioned above (both with ICE-ON and in EV).

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tigermidge
That would be close to what I am talking about.
The Prius will do this just coasting down a flat road.
I could not get the ford to do it yet. But I'm working on it.

But you say you can get yours to do it. MMMMMM
After driving my HCH for 3 years, I've got a pretty sensitive foot--glide in the HCH is very similar where you need JUST enough pressure to cancel out regen, but not use assist.

In the MMH, I can do it on downhills or flats, but I lose speed on the flats pretty quickly.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got it to glide today. Touchy throttle.
gotta work on my technique.

mark

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tigermidge
Got it to glide today. Touchy throttle.
gotta work on my technique.

mark
I find myself wanting a panel of controls that allow me to Dial-an-RPM on the ICE. It would be nice to set the RPM to 1500 or 1800 or whatever, until a preset speed is reached. You could set it on the highway, kind of the opposite of cruise control, so that no matter how steep the hill it would always stay at a fixed RPM, but then drop to idle on the down slope, and then regen if the slope is too steep.

An Auto-Glide function would also be nice. Just press a button, no mucking around with the pedal.

An EV-priority button would be nice too. Stay in EV as long as the SOC is OK, limited acceleration to whatever is allowed but not turning on the ICE until you push well beyond the max EV level (for safety acceleration).

Or how about what was promised in Popular Mechanics magazine back in 1981, when they showed a modified Mazda (I think) with a CVT, and had a computer controller that had many pre-programmed scenarios. Tell it your max speed, and it will accelerate you to that speed at the optimum engine RPM for max FE automatically. I do like the FEH Cruise control functionality in this regard, though. Set it at 55mph, then tap the pedal and decelerate to 25mph, then hit resume and it won't go above 2500 rpm to get you back to 55. Very nice.

Or how about programming the A/C Economy mode so that it operates exactly as it would if the A/C were off. Even when you muck around with the temperature, you still need to turn the A/C off to drop into EV mode in many conditions. I like my A/C, but I don't want to have to keep turning it on and off when I am in Economy mode to get economy.

I could go on.

RayP