Gas power would not engage...only Electric..until

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Gas power would not engage...only Electric..until

This morning I started up my 2008 Escape Hybrid....it started, but only in electric mode...I started driving, but the gas engine would not engage...could only go about 10 mph..and, the red triangle with the exclamation point appeared on the dash.....drove back home...let it sit for 30 mins...started up again, and everything was fine....did errands for 3 hours...any idea what happened...I have heard other owners say it could be the electronic water pump....if the red triangle and exclamation point (triangle of death) appears, does that automatically generate an error code that can be read with the right equipment...I called the Ford dealer where I bought the car, and he said he had never heard of an Escape doing this before......

Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Gas power would not engage...only Electric..until

Yes, you need a code reader. There could be 100 things that could cause that reaction. Most of them minor, but you never know.

Sounds like your car went into "limp home mode" and yes, that is what Ford actually calls it.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas power would not engage...only Electric..until

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Sounds like your car went into "limp home mode" and yes, that is what Ford actually calls it.
Not just Ford, other manufacturers have modes they call "limp home mode" as well.