gas mileage tips for FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default gas mileage tips for FEH?

Hi,

I am a new owner of a 2006 FEH (as of 5/20/06, but who's counting?). This site was really helpful before I made my decision and continues to be a great resource. While reviewing old posts, I have noticed various comments about ways to maximize MPG - e.g., driving downhill in neutral, removing the roof bars, etc. Is there somewhere I can find a summary of these tips? I'm definitely still in the break in period (just shy of 1,500 miles) and have only approached 26.5 mpg thus far. I have a FWD model, and it does have side bars on it (read that that could affect MPG, but not sure by how much).

Thanks for any links or tips you can share!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: gas mileage tips for FEH?

If you want some place to start, you could read/review Pravus Prime's FEH FAQs

Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A few quick tips that will help in the FEH (and in most cases, any car).

Avoid jackrabbit starts from stops
Minimize use of a/c. If you are using it and it isn't unbearably hot, use the a/c with recirculation but not the Max a/c. You will at least get the benefit of the gas motor shutting down now and then.
Use the windshield defogger only when needed. Otherwise you run the a/c compressor and the gas engine.
Plan ahead when stopping. Coast to a light rather than coming at it at speed and having to ride the brakes to the light. "LOW" gear in the FEH comes in handy for this. If you are able, time the light so you don't have to come to a complete stop.
If you are doing a bunch of errands around town, go to the most distant one first and work your way home. This allows the engine to warm up on the first leg and you can EV more to the other stops.
Inflate your tires to at least what the book recommends. Many of us use 40 psi or higher. Never more than 44 psi. Remember to factor in seasonal variations in tire pressure.
Remove the roofracks if you don't need them. No clue how much that changes anything but it can't hurt. The '07's have side rails only so they are lower profile already.
Practice, experiment and have fun. 16 months after getting my first FEH, I still enjoy driving it.

Good luck.

Ray

Old 07-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

At the risk of repeating others, here are useful suggestions/tutorials:

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-03-2006 at 07:29 AM. Reason: forgot a link