Fuel Economy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Fuel Economy?

You ( and/or your son ) must have had some harsh winds out there.

I routinely travel at 75-80 MPH since I have to drive from the Denver area to the Minneapolis area ( or vice-versa ) often in one day. Being over 800 miles, I can't afford to take my time and get better MPG's.

MPG's suffer, and are often in the upper 20's.
However, I never need to run my FEH over 3000 RPM unless I'm on a pretty steep hill.

The last time I did a long, constant run on E85* I was going 65 MPH on level ground at about 2250 RPM on average. I was only going from Omaha to Denver ( 600 miles ) so I could slow down to 65 MPH.

*( Or somewhere in the 80% ethanol range, since my tank was not 100% empty of gas when I filled up. )

P.S. In Colorado they were selling E85 for 85 cents a gallon last Friday.
1 day promo, but still cool!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed that I can go considerably faster at lower rpms since I put the new Latitude Tours on the car. I was afraid to comment at first because the results are so good, and I was worried that I was suffering from a case of 'wanting it to be true'...

On runs from Petaluma to the San Francisco airport I used to get mileage in the mid 28's, with the new tires (at 40 lbs pressure) I'm getting 32's.

Wow.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MMooney
I've noticed that I can go considerably faster at lower rpms since I put the new Latitude Tours on the car. I was afraid to comment at first because the results are so good, and I was worried that I was suffering from a case of 'wanting it to be true'...

On runs from Petaluma to the San Francisco airport I used to get mileage in the mid 28's, with the new tires (at 40 lbs pressure) I'm getting 32's.

Wow.
The Michelins are 29.4 pounds each and the Eco-Plus are 31 pounds. You should be getting better MPG in EV and on the highway with the Michelins. When I replace my rear Eco-Plus on my '05 FEH I'm going switch the tires and rims with my '09 FEHL tires and rims. The standard FEH rims are 18.4 pounds and the FEHL rims are 20.6 pounds. I'll lose an additional 8.8 pounds on my '09 FEHL. This should really make a difference in MPG on my '09.

The energy it takes to get the heavier tires and rims moving and the loss in energy coasting should mean a few MPG more than I'm getting now. We'll see.

GaryG

Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
The Michelins are 29.4 pounds each and the Eco-Plus are 31 pounds. You should be getting better MPG in EV and on the highway with the Michelins. When I replace my rear Eco-Plus on my '05 FEH I'm going switch the tires and rims with my '09 FEHL tires and rims. The standard FEH rims are 18.4 pounds and the FEHL rims are 20.6 pounds. I'll lose an additional 8.8 pounds on my '09 FEHL. This should really make a difference in MPG on my '09.

The energy it takes to get the heavier tires and rims moving and the loss in energy coasting should mean a few MPG more than I'm getting now. We'll see.

GaryG
Yeah, it's like putting sew-ups on a bicycle.