Front air dam for better aero?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front air dam for better aero?

Originally Posted by wptski
It was a post from a FEH owner and GH member about 4WD that lead me here. My '09 FE was purchased 11/11/08 and has only 3,800 miles on it, so I don't even drive enough to need any gas saving tricks.

Please don't call it AWD. A better term would be A4WD because that's all it really is. The closest to real AWD is the Acura SH-AWD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD

The only thing I feel guilty about is that I was fooled by the sales brochure on the so-called "Intelligent 4WD" which really isn't!
From the description this is not like the Ford system. I don't think there is any provision for changing the amount of drive to any individual wheel. At least I haven't seen any Ford documentation that would indicate this is a feature of I4WD.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
From the description this is not like the Ford system. I don't think there is any provision for changing the amount of drive to any individual wheel. At least I haven't seen any Ford documentation that would indicate this is a feature of I4WD.
I actually had a link to a selectable moving graphic of a so-called Fusion AWD. You could select different driving conditions and it showed how power was shifted like if you hit a patch of ice. One selection was a curved dry highway which showed power being shift side to side.

The link is broken now because maybe they found out that it really doesn't work that way!

Here's a thread where the graphic is shown: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index...eaded&pid=6557. I picked up the actual like someplace.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I actually had a link to a selectable moving graphic of a so-called Fusion AWD. You could select different driving conditions and it showed how power was shifted like if you hit a patch of ice. One selection was a curved dry highway which showed power being shift side to side.

The link is broken now because maybe they found out that it really doesn't work that way!

Here's a thread where the graphic is shown: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index...eaded&pid=6557. I picked up the actual like someplace.
But we aren't speaking of a Fusion. The descriptive text does not indicate individual wheel control.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Name:  fordintelligent4wdsystemLargee-mail.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  31.6 KB
An improved 4wd Ford Intelligent system arrives late in 2010 with the Ford Explorer.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
But we aren't speaking of a Fusion. The descriptive text does not indicate individual wheel control.
I have access to all Ford Workshop Manuals and the Escape 4WD description of operation is word for word the same as for the Fusion.

That's correct! That's because it doesn't work that way.The graphic didn't include any text and the poster included it with the text. The Ford Fusion graphic under Performance and Handling showed the curved highway. In fact, in the link I posted, Post #4, the second link "once" went to the graphic I speak of.

I also question the text that states increased throttle results in increased rear wheel torque. I can put my '09 FE right to the floor and my SG-II never shows more than 30-35%. Light to moderate throttle results in >20%. Why can't I get close to 50%???

I grabbed the following from the Ford Fusion site, I highlighted the interesting part! Seems somebody is still confused on their AWD operation! I guess they consider having traction control makes it real AWD??

The V6-powered Fusion with class-exclusive* All-Wheel Drive (AWD) improves traction and handling on any surface where wheel slip can occur, such as ice, snow, mud, gravel or even dry pavement. It constantly monitors driving conditions and distributes engine torque to the wheels with the most traction. So if the front wheels are experiencing poor traction, AWD will automatically transfer more torque to the rear wheels or the wheels having the most traction. At highway speed, the AWD system automatically deactivates to help conserve fuel but is able to reactivate if wheel slip is anticipated or detected

Last edited by wptski; 05-06-2010 at 08:40 PM.